Koloa Landing Po'ipu Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whaleboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I did one shore dive at Koloa Landing. Sea Sport Divers is just up the street, so it
was a logical choice. $7 ea. for weights, wetsuit (3mm) and tank. You can rent
2 tanks but even if you don't use the second tank, you are still charged.
Easy entry and protected area, its an old boat ramp. The water was silty at the
entrance because of the creek emptying in next to ramp, but clears up about
10 yards out. There is a permanent dive buoy with flag, and its at 20 feet.
I dropped by the buoy and got my bearings, I had about 30-40 feet vis, which increased
as I left the mooring and headed West along the structure.
The area wasn't teaming with life, like those Nature shows on PBS, but I was still overwhelmed
b the clarity and beauty of the water. I videoed most of my dive on a GoPro, to ID the fish later.
I picked up a friend, a Saddle Wrase, who was very friendly and seemed to be with me the whole time.
Many Triggers, Tangs and Butterfly fish, I encountered 2 sea turtles (taking a nap) and 2 Trumpet fish.
I explorered the West side, then turned around swam over the sandy area to the East side structure.
(Composed of large lava bolders and rocks). Structures had several types of coral, like Koa Cauliflower
Koa Lobe Coral and Reef encrusted sponge. I found one sea cucumber.
SaddleWrase.jpg
My scuba buddy.
schoolof Fish.jpg
The endless school of (I haven't ID'd these yet) fish...
Water Temp 76, Max depth 30', Dive time 48 Minutes.
I was in a 3mm Full with 2 mm gloves, I started getting cold
about 30minutes into the dive, will bring hood next time.

I saw a Monk seal, turtles, and some octopus in June 2 years ago. Plus the usual parade of fish. It's a real nice site.

The wife and I were there 2 weeks ago.... The EAST side had a lot more to see and like you said, visibility got much better as you move out from the landing.. if you go slow there are all kinds of little critters to see.... Dove the site 4 times out of the week..... You need to look out for the " TURTLE POLICE ".... I was hovering about 5' above a large sleeping turtle when the "scuba police" turtle squad showed up.... She had a writing slate with her... On it she wrote....

$10,000 fine for harassing sea turtles.... then gave me the :no::no: and then showed the sign to my wife... :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Jim....

And I would like to add... Klye from Seasport was so helpful and nice to us.... They made me feel like I was a oldtime dive buddy.... The whole staff that I saw was happy and smiling... Much like the rest of the people of Kauai....

One correction. That's not a boat ramp.

Did you notice that the grooves went the long way? Every boat ramp with grooves have them go the short way, so as to increase traction.

The Koloa Landing ramp's grooves are there to REDUCE traction.

Why reduce traction?

So you can drag whale carcasses onto shore for processing. That's why.

(At the risk of going off topic...)

Interesting debates regarding the history of whaling and what actually happened here on Kauai have gone on for as long as I've been here. I've listened to such varied information for years that I've been doing some light but ongoing research. Your post gave me the chance to dig back in....

Several long time locals here with families dating back generations has indicated that whaling wasn't prevalent here in Hawaii at all. I know internet info always needs verification - but it sounds as if whales were never dragged or brought ashore at the landing (not as whole carcasses anyway). As we all know the Humpbacks were hunted to a near critical number during the whaling years (thought the whales were not targeted primarily in Hawaii). Whaling ships certainly visited the Landing starting back in 1826 - but they were in route to Japan and targeting the Sperm whale as I understand. Koloa actually became the 3rd largest port for whaling ships to "stock up" with supplies that were required for such long journeys. Many supplies available in Koloa could not be obtained in Lahaina or Honolulu. I have to verify - but I was told by a single individual that most of goods came and went through railways that lead from Koloa town down to the river mouth there and not to the "launch" as we know today. If you've dove the landing extensively - you've seen some of these rails out in the sandy areas to this day.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the post. It peaked my curiosity even more. One way or the other...I walked up and down that "ramp" (which I saw a boat lauched from last night ironically) a few hundred times - and I wouldn't want to be dragged up or down it.

Back to digging into Koloa Landing history........

The wife and I were there 2 weeks ago.... The EAST side had a lot more to see and like you said, visibility got much better as you move out from the landing.. if you go slow there are all kinds of little critters to see.... Dove the site 4 times out of the week..... You need to look out for the " TURTLE POLICE ".... I was hovering about 5' above a large sleeping turtle when the "scuba police" turtle squad showed up.... She had a writing slate with her... On it she wrote....

$10,000 fine for harassing sea turtles.... then gave me the :no::no: and then showed the sign to my wife... :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Jim....

And I would like to add... Klye from Seasport was so helpful and nice to us.... They made me feel like I was a oldtime dive buddy.... The whole staff that I saw was happy and smiling... Much like the rest of the people of Kauai....

I took some notes from Kyle and made sure I was there when it was least busy , about 11pm-1pm. Kyle does make you feel like a
regular and will take the time to explain the hows and why's of the local dive ops. I came away feeling like this shop knows how
to treat their customers. Everyone at the Seasport shop was very friendly and did not rush or stinkeye you...Much like the Aloha
I have been finding on Kauai.

Thanks AquamanKauai!

I stand corrected. I appreciate your research an information.

If you have any more info, please let me know.

BTW. I heard about the whale carcass hauling from your colleagues over two trips there.

Thanks AquamanKauai!

I stand corrected. I appreciate your research an information.

If you have any more info, please let me know.

BTW. I heard about the whale carcass hauling from your colleagues over two trips there.

I guess it sounds " BETTER " that it's a old whaling ramp... Then a boat ramp with the grooves the wrong way....:rofl3:

Jim...

Thanks "fisheater" for giving me an opportunity to learn further....

I hear suspect whale info frequently and always try to communicate the best information in the interest of accuracy. Based on your post I spent another hour tonight looking up info hoping to learn more. It's fascinating all the information about "whaling fleets" here as part of hawaiian history once you filter passed the 'oh, this sounds good" websites. Japans ports were closed to foreign ships as I understand so that is a large part of the reason that ships had to find another place to trade goods and re-supply. Hawaii was the obvious and user friendly choice. Anyway, I hope to pull together a post with some basic info for general consumption once I learn a little more. If you like (and I know time is limited and precious for all of us) I can send a personal message to ya with a couple sites with great info.

Anyway, thanks again. And I'd love to find out the real story behind the boat ramp and landings function...we'll see...

Best of diving wishes to you my SB friend
A

Back
Top Bottom