Komodo - Diving in The Dragon's Den

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard that there has been a problem recently with cyanide/dynamite fishing in the park, did you notice this on any of the sites that you visited?
Oh, and awesome pics by the way :wink:

Theres evidence of dynamiting alright, nothing major on the sites we visited however in sangeang we heard a bomb go off underwater.. also one of the dive sites on the itinerary, not sure which..we had to cancel and go to another instead. It was all rather hush but suspect it had been bombed which is a shame.. We didnt do cannibal rock as it was on the rinca side and we did north and sth komodo mainly.. but I read somewhere its been bombed out. Can anyone verify this? It has to stop on all counts.. I chose komodo to be in the wilderness.. we didnt really hit any heavily populated areas.. thus encountering this on the trip was sobering indeed..

I dove Cannibal Rock last week, there are no signs of bombings. None. Zero. In four days of diving both north and south ends of the park, there were no indications of recent bombings. None. There was quite a bit of bombing done at one time around Wainilu Island (north side of Rinca). This is very old rubble and was the result of bombing some years ago. This area looks like a total dead zone. I sighted no living corals what so ever. However, we spotted many mandarin fish and picturesque dragonets. Seeing an area so completely devastated by bombing is painful and befuddling. Painful that almost nothing has grown back. Befuddling as, why anyone could be so stupid as to destroy the reef in a one off fish harvest leaving it essentially sterile for the future. Komodo diving is fantastic.

Good to hear that Cannibal Rock is looking good! We are looking forward to that dive site!!!!!!!!
I dove Cannibal Rock last week, there are no signs of bombings. None. Zero. In four days of diving both north and south ends of the park, there were no indications of recent bombings. None. There was quite a bit of bombing done at one time around Wainilu Island (north side of Rinca). This is very old rubble and was the result of bombing some years ago. This area looks like a total dead zone. I sighted no living corals what so ever. However, we spotted many mandarin fish and picturesque dragonets. Seeing an area so completely devastated by bombing is painful and befuddling. Painful that almost nothing has grown back. Befuddling as, why anyone could be so stupid as to destroy the reef in a one off fish harvest leaving it essentially sterile for the future. Komodo diving is fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom