Komodo Liveaboard, Single Occupancy? June or July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi!

I'm landing in Bali on the 21st of June and have 4 weeks. I really want to do a Komodo liveaboard and first of all I was wondering if there is a major difference between June and July?
I did Komodo on Mermaid 1 in June 2014 and had a wonderful time. In fact, I consider it the best overall of my 19 liveaboad trips to date - considering that I have been on Truk Odyssey to Truk Lagoon and just returned from Socorro where I was on board t superb Rocio del Mar, it takes some beating but the Komodo trip is still numero uno in my opinion.

July will probably not be a great deal different from June except that the winds are likely to have picked-up more. Therefore, I suggest the cruise earlier in your break in Bali.

Speaking of Bali, Mermaids liveaboards have 2 distinct advantages over the competition for Komodo diving. First off, there are 2 boats - the upmarket Mermaid I that does 9-day itineraries and a middling-market Mermaid II that does weekly trips. In June they are very likely to be doing parallel trips and so you will have a choice. More importantly, unlike other Komodo liveaboards, the Mermaid boats sail from (and back to) Benoa harbour in Bali and so there is no hassle of an internal flight. Hari the Finn, the senior divemaster on Mermaid I is superb in getting best dives out of the trip.

I will be going with Wicked Diving on a 7 day Liveaboard. I took Hintermann's advice and booked as early as I could, I will be going on the 27th of june!

From what I understand the Wicked Diving boat doesn't go south, but perhaps the late june/early july winds doesn't allow boats going there either way.

Thanks for all your replies!

Enjoy the trip - and please post your thoughts on the diving and yacht afterwards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom