Kona DIR-F class report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot:
Hey Radinator,

I asked the same question and was "frustrated" when people told me not to concentrate on learning things ahead of time...

I understand the frustration, but I see the point of learning things wrong. I'll just have to take the class to find out. :)

Thanks for the info. Your vids look great, especially when combined with your self-critique.

Ray

Derek S:
Nice report Kidspot. Sorry I was unable to make the trek to HI for the class with you guys. I ended up taking mine in FL instead, here's a link to my report:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=92113

Hey Derek,

Glad to hear you made it to Florida for your DIR-F & Great Report too, sorry about your foot though...

Aloha, Tim

Hey Ray,

Thanks - I should point out however that my real problems were in the team awareness and multitasking side of things, which are not present in that video clip. We joked that some of the footage should have had circus music playing to it :wink: That's why I'm working to get my bouyancy and trim as second nature as possilbe, so that I can put more of my focus on the team and task at hand. I laughed at myself Sunday during a dive when my buddy asked me about my air - just checking my spg caused me to lose control of my bouyancy :( (he didn't see that though :wink: ) I've clipped and unclipped my spg hundreds of times before, but I was so focused on bouyancy that it took my complete attention (apparently - lol)

Aloha, Tim

radinator:
I understand the frustration, but I see the point of learning things wrong. I'll just have to take the class to find out. :)

Thanks for the info. Your vids look great, especially when combined with your self-critique.

Ray

kidspot:
I asked the same question and was "frustrated" when people told me not to concentrate on learning things ahead of time... Now I understand why - there were so many things that needed to be shown/demonstrated which if practiced wrongly would just need correcting.

Like I've said here before: the most important thing I learned was what I still had to learn... DIR-F is more than 100 dives behind me now, and I still notice improvements in my techniques (although they become smaller ";-).

I did a holiday dive with a non-DIR friend last month and he complained looking at the photo's that on every photo I was horizontal and sometimes it would have looked better on the photos if I would have been more vertical... He could not have made me a better compliment ";-)

well for what it's worth - I think it would have looked funny if you were vertical in those shots - they looked very professional with you horizontal. And the top middle shot is great! I nearly put that up as my desktop background :wink: - I would have if it had been me in it :D lol

Aloha, Tim

Reinoud:
Like I've said here before: the most important thing I learned was what I still had to learn... DIR-F is more than 100 dives behind me now, and I still notice improvements in my techniques (although they become smaller ";-).

I did a holiday dive with a non-DIR friend last month and he complained looking at the photo's that on every photo I was horizontal and sometimes it would have looked better on the photos if I would have been more vertical... He could not have made me a better compliment ";-)

kidspot:
Hey Derek,

Glad to hear you made it to Florida for your DIR-F & Great Report too, sorry about your foot though...

Aloha, Tim

Tim,

Thanks, I can just imagine how great it would have been to take it in HI though. I'll have to make it over to Maui sometime and we can get a couple of dives in.

Foot is much better, I'll be in the 35*F water this weekend.

Derek S:
Foot is much better, I'll be in the 35*F water this weekend.

isn't that carrying the idea of "icing down an injury" a little too far? :wink: - glad your foot is doing ok now though.

Let me know when you make it out this way - Maybe even join us for the next DIR-F? (I'd really like to take it again when I can get more out of it)

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
isn't that carrying the idea of "icing down an injury" a little too far? :wink: - glad your foot is doing ok now though.

Let me know when you make it out this way - Maybe even join us for the next DIR-F? (I'd really like to take it again when I can get more out of it)

Aloha, Tim

Yeah, I couldn't decide if I wanted to heat or ice it. Well, I wanted to heat it, but I knew the wife wouldn't let me get away for another trip again...:wink:

I can't wait for the water to warm up. Even in a drysuit 35*F is a little more than just "refreshing". :D

I'll probably be re-taking it again before I can make a trip to HI. I'll definitely give you a should though when I do make it down there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom