Kona dive op

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lived in Kona for 10 years and watched the dive ops come and go. I got certified at Jack's after trying the other ops and as far as I'm concerned, they are still the best, but it's always personal choice. Jack's was the first to do the manta dives, first to do the black night dives. The folks I learned with in 1987 are still there, including the owners and manager (BG). We used to dive with Jerry Garcia on occasion. I still have an old Jerry Garcia Band t-shirt with the band's name spelled out in coral formations. Good times...!

Yeah, Big Island Divers was the other one I was having a hard time deciding between. It seems that you'd be hard pressed to find many bad reviews on either op. Let me know if you're able to do the pelagic magic dive, and what you thought of it. I'm considering it, but not sure.
We got on the Friday night black water dive (Jack's is the only one who can call it pelagic magic), but because a new swell is forecast at the end of the week they rescheduled for Thursday (tomorrow night). We're also doing the extended range trip on Thursday, so it's going to be a really long day of diving.

Our dive guide the other day vouched for our diving competency, so they're not making us do the manta dive before the black water, which is their normal policy. They're pretty hard over about making everyone do a night dive with them before doing the black water night dive

Strange that they make you do that considering how different the two dives are... One, your just on your knees at the bottom with lighting all around you, and the other, you're hanging on to a line in the pitch black...lol.

Strange that they make you do that considering how different the two dives are... One, your just on your knees at the bottom with lighting all around you, and the other, you're hanging on to a line in the pitch black...lol.
Yes, I made that point originally, but that's their policy to make sure divers don't completely wig out in the dark. We went out last night for the black water dive, but there was too much current, wind and swell to do the dive so we came back in. Now we have to wait until our next time on the BI for the dive, since conditions today look like bigger waves and it's our last chance to dive before offgassing and flying home

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom