Kona If price was no object

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMD123

Reaction score
If price was no object where would you stay and what Dive Op would you use?

Thanks

I would stay on the Kona Aggressor .

5 dives a day for a week, knowledgable and friendly crew, fantastic food by Robert the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) grad, stuff you'll never see from a shore op.

All the best, James

JonasDolkart:
If price was no object where would you stay and what Dive Op would you use?
Thanks
I still think need more info about goals. Example: Agressor (impressions, no personal experience - jepuskar was just there a couple of months ago) here just to dive and AOW. I’m not implying no to the Agressor, not at all, just your goals of visit may be better suited other ways.

Four seasons. Dive ops are all pretty good. I did a manta dive with Big Isle Divers last week and they burned the fuel for a longer boat ride to insure we saw mantas. Everyone else just goes to the airport. Some days are great there some see no mantas. Big Isles brand new boaw kicks some serious butt too!

Kona Aggressor very well coud be it. The boat's getting a little older and could use some sprucing up in my opinion, but I hear good things from the people who've taken it and compared it to other live aboards they've done.

Elsewize.. Stay at the Four Seasons and then rent out private charters on one of the Kona 6 pack boats who offer that. Private boat, private guides, see what you want to see without having to deal with other's limitations or expectations.

Thanks for the help... I little more info about us... My wife is certified but no longer dives... did her 6 check out dives and that was it. No live aboards for her. I guess the four seasons it is. But I do not have 6 people I am going with... and although I send money was no object I do not want to rent a 6 pack for myself.

So what dive operator?

Also I have heard of a hotel called the mona lani? sorry if the spelling is off. ANyone heard of that hotel?
Thanks

If money were no object then I'd go next door to the Four Seasons and stay at the Kona Village.

http://www.konavillage.com/
check out their "dive" page under activities.

This is a very upscale resort where all rooms are detached bungalows on the beach. Very laid back atmosphere, extremely friendly staff etc.
And as for diving, the boat they use literally backs up right to the sand on the beach. You just walk over from your cottage and hop right on.

Aloha,
Sam

fdog:
I would stay on the Kona Aggressor .

5 dives a day for a week, knowledgable and friendly crew, fantastic food by Robert the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) grad, stuff you'll never see from a shore op.

All the best, James
I second that about Robert's cooking. I just got back from a trip on the Aggressor, here is my trip report (in 2 parts), It is called Kona Trip Report http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

pearl4diving:
Pearl's 2 cents:

- Stay at the Four Seasons

and

- Dive with Friscuba's dive op in Kona, nice personalized service

Thanks for the plug Pearl,

Have we met? I hope to get over to Oahu, probably next year, to hook up with some of the local ops there.

Back to the original question, who to hook up with? The 6 pack ops do deserve a consideration even if it's not a private charter. During slower seasons, many of them are going out with 2-4 people (basically private charters without paying a private price). That is hard to beat.

For hotels, the Kona Village is the tops, Four Seasons the next. Both the Mauna Kea and the Mauna Lani are very nice (still probably not as widely regarded in the high end market as the 2 mentioned earlier), but you could have a 50-60 minute drive to the the Kailua area dive operators from there. If staying up there I'd consider at least a couple of days at one of the dive shops on that part of the island just to keep the days shorter.

Aloha,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom