Kona Kailua question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cathycalg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HI...my husband and I are planning a month-long trip to the Big Island next January/February. We're trying to find a decent-sized ,clean condo -- at least a one bedroom with a full kitchen. We would prefer to be within sight of the ocean..though that's not a deal-breaker. We will dive, snorkel and enjoy the beaches so I thought the Kona-Kailua area would be best. (We've never been before.) Does anyone have any suggestions and/or warnings about places?

Thanks for your help.

Cathy

Hi,

My wife and I have been to the Big Island two times now and we will be returning in April...Kona and Hilo side.

The last two times we have used the VRBO website with great success for rentals.

Almost all the diving is on the Kona side. Cannot recommend anything yet for scuba...first time we will be doing scuba there.

We have done snorkel at two steps though and it was quite nice.

We have stayed on the Big Island many times and if we are staying in Kailua Kona, we stay at the Kona Reef. Not the newest or nicest place but it works for us. We always try and stay in the 'A' building and book through VRBO. It is truly ocean front, like maybe 20ft to the water and if the surf is up, lots of people surfing and boarding out front. As the tide goes out, the turtles will be in the tide pools out front. It's an easy 15 minute walk to the pier in town and about a 15 minute drive to the boat harbor. These are pictures from the A27 unit:

Kona_2008 047.jpg2009_0418Kona_Day_40013.jpg2009_0418Kona_Day_40015.jpg2009_0418Kona_Day_40023.jpgKona 5-09 Day 2 005.jpgKona May 2008 Day 1 004.jpg

Another option is to stay in the Kohala area. You are much closer to the best beaches and also has better weather than Kona with many condo options on VRBO. We like staying in Mauna Lani and have stayed in the Golf Villa's and at Kulalani. Both properties have access to the private beach in Mauna Lani. Most of the condos are golf course views instead of ocean so there is a choice to be made. It is also a 30 minute drive to the boat harbor in Kona if your dive operator departs from the harbor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom