Kona Trip/Class Report w/pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAndDreams

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So,

Bad news first, since this was a diving course I did not take my HD camera with me. The following pictures are all topside pictures taken with my iPhone (A little advertisement for Gabe’s stocks, go iphone!).

I constantly evaluate my diving style, philosophy and also what is going on with the dive industry. For about two years now I have been interested in Closed Circuit Rebreathers (CCRs). Having “grown-up” around GUE divers & mentors I have naturally been very resistant to taking the plunge into CCRs. However, I believe that CCRs have matured enough to provide the benefits that are often advertised about them, with a minimum amount of risk involved.

In the ideal world I wanted something that would do a couple of things, (1) reduce my logistics (2) allow me the flexibility to use gases at different dive sites in case the target site was blown out/cancelled, and (3) reduce Helium costs (eventually). A CCR can offer all of these things, and being a relatively anal-retentive diver when it comes to pre-dive, dive, and post-dive procedures a CCR would fit me just fine. In the ideal world I would have done this with one of my regular buddies; however reality was that currently they were not in a position to purchase a CCR.

Logistics is becoming ridiculess (reason #1, see pic)

a13.jpg

So, about 6-months ago I decided that it was time to get into a CCR. First task at hand choose a CCR. First thing for me to consider was electronic CCR (eCCR) vs manual CCR (mCCR). Without going into a lot of details I chose that mCCR would be for me, as I like the idea of controlling the amount of O2 in the loop versus a computer and a solenoid doing it for me. I took a look at the rEVO, which was too new for me so I dismissed it. It then boiled down to a KISS Classic and a Megalodon COPIS II. The big difference between the two is the front mounted versus back mounted counterlungs. Back mounted counterlungs were appealing to me, since they keep your chest area clean…something I am used to with my HOG/DIR/NTEC rig. However, after evaluating the build quality between the COPIS II (which is build like a tank) and the Kiss Classic, and given the inherent water trap qualities of front mounted counter lungs I decided that a COPIS II is for me.

After some political-wife maneuvering and getting the green light, my next task at hand was choosing a potential instructor. While, I feel that my diving skills are more than up-to-par, diving a CCR would be an entirely different world and none of my prior experience would matter. Hence, I didn’t just want a pay-for-your-card course (yes they are out there). After getting several recommendations from buddies of mine, I chose to go with Jim Holt of Kona Aquatica. So, I ordered my COPIS II through Jim about two months ago. It had been at his facility for just over a month when I arrived on 24 May 08 to take my training.

Day 1:
I arrived in Kona via GO! at 0810. Jim picked me up at the airport, and took me to his state-of-the-art facility where we promptly began training. BUT FIRST, I got a look at my pretty pretty Meg.

a1.JPG

a2.JPG

a11.JPG

a3.JPG

We then proceeded to do some introductions and get some much needed initial Academics out of the way, followed by a 2.5 hour pool session. Wow! Buoyancy? What Buoyancy? At this point I feel like I am an Open Water student again, that’s ok though I knew that this was going to be an entirely new experience going into the course. This was a long day, and around 9 PM Jim took me to my Condo that my family and I stayed at.

a4.JPG

Day 2:

We did a ton of Academics on day 2 and some dry-runs and dirt diving. I got more familiar with my beloved COPIS II. This was another 10-hour day.

Day 3:

We did our first open water dives on Day 3. Jim runs an awesome operation. We did 2-boat dives off his beautiful 30’ boat. The diving in Kona is fantastic and I am sorry to say that Oahu diving does not compare to it. This is a diver’s dream, more importantly the drastic drop-offs are even more so a technical diver’s dream. I was the only student on the boat, talk about personalized service! This is one of only a few charters I have been on in Hawaii that took the time necessary to feel not-rushed, and the sandwich and choice of drinks between the dives was delicious and definitely a nice touch! Outstanding service, instruction and diving…what more can one ask for? Oh, and I used about 6cf of DIL/O2 for almost 3 hours of diving…wow!

a5.JPG

a6.JPG

Day 4:

Proved to be even more outstanding than Day 3. We did two more Open Water Dives at the Bay of Refuge/2 steps. Lots of skills were practiced, more so than day 3. Jim really started to turn up the heat, and I started to be able to do some of the skills from muscle memory alone. Again, the diving here was breathtaking. So much HEALTHY coral and fish life, just astounding! The dive site ranges from 20’-160’ all with coral formations one can only find on the outside of Hanauma Bay on Oahu.

a7.JPG

a8.JPG

a9.JPG

After we finished our spectacular, no-noise shore dives. We returned to Jim’s facility and finished the evening with more…academics. Again, a 12-hour day.

Day 5 was a repeat of day 3, and Day 6 was a repeat of day 4. Both long days, with spectacular diving. I took my final exams (yes, 2 of them one from ISC the mfg and the other from IANTD) on Day 7, and was finally done with my course.

Total Open Water Dives: 8
Total Open Water Bottom Time: 670 minutes!
Total Course time (Academics/Pool/Diving): ~70 hours!

I couldn’t be happier with the course. Jim was EXTREMELY thorough, provided outstanding customer service, and the diving in Kona is world-class. If anyone is considering doing some diving, I can highly recommend Jim and his operation. His site is located at http://www.konaquatica.com

a10.JPG

a12.JPG

While the temptation is there, as far as my diving style is concerned I don’t plan on changing it. I will remain a team centered diver, and will now from time to time be bolting a COPIS II to my backplate instead of a set of doubles. I am heading back tomorrow evening...yay!

Aloha,

Sherman

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice report Sherman. Now, if I can only teach you how to spell Konaquatica !

Have you hugged your Meg today ?

I enjoyed having you as a student and I hope you now feel that you have received something of great value and as being more-than-worthy of the money, long hours and work we put in. Looking back on it now, after spending lots of time underwater, and experiencing some amazing diving, I hope you had fun and now feel confident that you are fully prepared to start safely diving your COPIS 2 Megalodon. Thanks again. Take care.

Jim

I've just learned that I can teach a CCR course, but I can't figure out how to delete these posts ! LOL.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom