Kraken NR1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3-V1800 Video Light – ANO Online Shop
1-V30WS_UV Video Light – ANO Online Shop

if you want to go big from the get go, I would look at one of these two. I haven't tried them directly, but have used and purchased other lights from them and have been very impressed, especially for the price.

Their ratings are still to be taken with a grain of salt. The V1800 specs don't give enough info to make any determination.

But the V30 has 6 x Cree XP-G LED emitters for the white light. The Ano specs say it has a max of 3600 lumens. But, the Cree specs for the LED emitter say it has a max of 493 lumens output.

Cree XLamp XP-G LEDs

So, 6 of them would have a theoretical max of less than 3000 lumens. Real world would obviously be even less than that. A spec of "3600 lumens" seems to be those infamous Chinese Lumens.

For almost exactly the same money, I would try the Archon W42VR (aka D36VR).

Archon W42VR D36VR Diving Photography Underwater Video LED Flashlight Torch | eBay

That has 8 x Cree XM-L2 emitters. That's a theoretical max of over 8000 lumens. But, they only claim 5200. Props to them for giving at least a SOMEWHAT realistic-sounding specification for output. I would bet it is a lot brighter than that V30. I mean, theoretical max of 8000 versus 3000. Real world, probably something like 5200 vs 2000.

I only have one Archon light, but it has been totally solid for the year and half or so that I've had it.

I just bought one as a backup light for cave diving. Seems okay so far--800 lumen and a burn time of nearly 2 hours. Anyone else out there used one and have some thoughts?

Thanks
R.
Not sure which you are talking about. I have a Kraken NR1000 and Kraken 1000 WSR , virtually don't leave home without one of them. Love them both. Bullet proof , small lights do everything I need most of the time. Wish i could use big lights as often.The narrow beam one I have had for a couple years. Wide Beam since last fall it came with camera attachments, including one for Go Pro. So I leave it on the action cam and use it as a steady handle. Can choose between narrow or wide beam instantly so works good for camera or dive light. Have not tried the red.
Either one works well enough for primary or back up night dive. Expect about an hour fairly flat brightness, by that time battery level indicator is letting me know to charge it. I will run it at lower power at this point so runs a lot longer. The inexpensive Kraken NR650 is is a good deal a little bigger to allow battery choices . I like the smaller brighter NR 1000. Don't know anybody that would could call these cheap lights they are beautifully made.with knurling in the right places for grip.

I use a pair of these on my helmet
Cave Adventurers - Explorer back-up lights - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
Price seems to have gone up quite a bit but a pair of them are fairly inexpensive and you'll want a pair for video to help remove shadows.
These have 3 brightness settings with the push button and will give you a rough battery indicator in the color LED. These are very similar to the HOG Morph 1000 lights for reference.

For 2 of them it is still quite reasonable and they work very well. For around $200, it's hard to argue. I would start there and see if you really need more for your diving.

How is the light output on the CA light over the burn time? Does it taper off or does it look fairly consistent?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom