Kraken vs. SeaLife Smarthousing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roztheoctopus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Want to pull the trigger on getting smartphone housing. Can't decide between the new Kraken KRH08 or the SeaLife. Does anyone have insights?

I'd get the KRH08 V2, that uses a 18650 battery.

I have the sealife and no big complaints but I would buy the Kraken now since it has that charge the phone feature with the 18650, now I’m tempted but I would tilt toward the pro version for the redundant computer functions.

we have the original Kraken case, and when offered a trade in on the new version, we jumped at the chance. I really liked the 18650 aspect, but ran into software issues when used with Apple products. When changing from photo, to video, and then back to photo, the screen would black out. You had to remove the phone and restart it, something you're clearly not doing underwater. For this reason, and the fact that they had no solution at the time, we traded it back almost immediately. We also heard there was some kind of minor issue with the vacuum sealing system warning lights. Not being sure we could trust it, and having a trip booked very soon after, we had to pass... not sure if the issues have been fixed or not...

Could you tie off a stylus and use that?
I assume that could work, they also make a thing that would tie onto your glove but that all seems shaky at best as gloves can expand and shrink during a dive but I’m sure someone can 3D something that could work better.??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom