KY jelly on DS seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biodiversity_guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I tried using KY jelly on my wrist and neck seals last weekend when I dove Sund Rock for the first time (it was on a REEF surveyor training which added a lot to the experience).

I had read somewhere in these posts that KY jelly worked well when putting the seals on, so I figured I would try it. I do use talc/corn starch at home when cleaning/storage but thought the KY would be nice "in the field". It was.

I put a dab on each of the wrist seals before I pushed my hands thru. They slid right on, slicker than s., err very easily. Same for the neck seal. Made positioning it once on my neck much more managable.

I use Seal Saver the same way, and it's a little less messy.

Try the version that produces a 'warming' sensation. We all await the report...

AstroGlide or an equivalent works as well.

Do you use Seal Saver / AstroGlide products on Neoprene or Latex seals? I don't really have a problem with donning, but my latex seals sometimes leak at the wrist tendons. I was wondering if there is a product that could help to seal those leaks without damaging the seals.

I use Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo . . . it also doubles as a mask de-fog, triples as a rinse for my wetsuits and quadruples as shampoo for my bald head.

the K

Dive1Dennis:
Do you use Seal Saver / AstroGlide products on Neoprene or Latex seals? I don't really have a problem with donning, but my latex seals sometimes leak at the wrist tendons. I was wondering if there is a product that could help to seal those leaks without damaging the seals.
Dry gloves.:wink:

It's my understanding that, for those of us with prominent tendons at the wrist, small leaks under the latex seals are inevitable (unless you use dry gloves).

rookers:
Try the version that produces a 'warming' sensation. We all await the report...

No...you just use that when applying the condom catheter:D

In all seriousness though, the liquid K-Y is not going to hurt the seals. I know plenty of people that use it or an eqivalent w/ great results...

Back
Top Bottom