la jolla cove dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fundive123

Contributor
Reaction score
My dive partner and I did two dives this morning at la jolla cove. Water temp about 58, vis 10-15ft, some spots almost 20ft vis. It was our first time diving in San Diego/la jolla and we had a blast! We were wanting see some garibaldi, and saw several! We also saw a thornback ray, numerous crabs, a few large lobsters, and numerous other aquatic life. On our second dive the surge picked up at little, but we had a very playful sea lion follow us the entire dive that kept darting in front of us and blowing bubbles in front of our masks. Great day of diving, and great first time exploring San Diego/la jolla! :)

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed yourself. La Jolla Cove is a nice little jewel when the viz cooperates. My friend dove there yesterday and saw a seven gill shark. Normally we see those guys in the summer. But I can understand their confusion: Our "winter" has been so mild that it might as well be summer.

By the way, was it a seal or sea lion that was playful? Usually it's the sea lions. I find that the seals tend to be shy.

We were told by another diver that there was a possible sighting of a sevengill a few days ago, and we were really hoping to be lucky and see one today, but unfortunelty that will have to be another time. Ah, yes you are correct that it was a sea lion :) my fiancee and I keep getting the two mixed up, haha.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom