La Jolla Cove kelp ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We're planning a trip in November from Europe to La Jolla to dive La Jolla Cove, Point Loma etc but are quite uncertain about the presence of giant kelp in that area.
Can someone give us an actual update or suggestions on that ?

For Point Loma you might contact the Lois Ann diveboat - if it's there they're diving in it almost daily. Often at Point Loma. So a good choice for a diveboat when you get to San Diego.

Another consideration is that dive boat trips in SoCal ramp down from about Nov-Mar. so you might want to check if someone is diving when you plan to be there - most will be only diving weekends at that time. Here's the list - San Diego boats are at the bottom. www.californiadiveboats.com

If the Kelp is there, here's instructions on how to find it off LaJolla - Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website

I believe IBDivers/LaJolla is your best option for tanks now, the Sport Chalet locations all recently closed. Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website

hth,

Last edited:
The Kelp is slowly coming back. Pt Loma has more than LJ Cove right now. As mentioned above I think the best Kelp diving here is off one of the boats (Agree that Lois Ann is a good operation, I like diving with them) to Pt Loma. The cove can be great but it's viz is a bit hit or miss. If it is good, it is a great dive and you don't need to pay for a boat. If it is bad then it is really no fun. To dive the cove, you need to account for the parking being a mess and get there very early (usually before 7:30am), even in the winter. Hopefully it will continue to come back and it can grow quickly. Hopefully there will be a good amount by November.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom