La Paz diving advice in early February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Scotty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello Everyone,
My wife and I are flying into La Paz on Jan 27th and out February 8th. I'd appreciate some advice on the best strategy for doing the best diving in the area. We both have over a thousand dives with hundreds in strong current (we used to guide in Komodo) we are budget travelers.

-What divesites should we not miss? Is it better to repeat the best sites or should we check out a bunch? Any operators that you would recommend or avoid?

-Should we dive Cabo Pulmo that time of year? Is it better to go spend a few nights there or day trip it from La Paz?

-Any recommendations for whale watching operators? Should we go to Magdalena Bay (Puerto San Carlos) for that? If we do is it better to go spend a night or two there or day trip it from La Paz?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I only did two dives from La Paz - Los Islotes & the C-59 wreck. Los Islotes is probably a cant-miss site. Really fun baby sea lions. Probably like you, I see sea lions at my local diving, but the La Paz babies are much more interactive and fun. And the bulls also get close - the bulls in Monterey mostly ignore us And lots of cool fish too. The C-59 wreck was OK - many swim throughs cut out, but not alot of fish.

Sorry I dont have much more information. I found the price for diving there pretty steep - about $180 for 2 tanks - but maybe you can get a volume discount since you'll have alot of time there. Also, the boat rides can get pretty long - about 90 min to Los Islotes, although there are closer sites.

The food, esp seafood in La Paz is great, and its pretty economical.

A tour to Espiritu Santo island is worthwhile. You'll get to snorkel los Islotes and explore the sea lion colonies and other cool sites from the boat.

Following this topic as I am also planning some days in La Paz before my Socorro liveaboard in February.
Any decent company for transfer between La Paz and San José del Cabo?
I am planning to the the snorkeling with whale sharks on the day of arrival + 2 days of diving La Paz + 1 day of diving Cabo Pulmo for the bull sharks.

I just came back from Baja Sur. Did the sea lions dive and whale shark snorkel in La Paz (twice each), and would definitely do them again. Also did the whale watching tour in Mag Bay from Puerto San Carlos and it was sooo cool! Did a humpback watching a few days later in Cabo, and it didn't even compare to the grey whale watching in San Carlos. They really do come close to your boat, swim underneath it, and just hang out there with the boats. I'd absolutely do it again. I'd spend a night there instead of doing a day trip, cause the boats leave at 7am. If You go there as a day trip you'll probably have to leave La Paz super early. If you do spend the night, go eat at Mariscos El Tiburon. It's cheap, and the food is AMAZING!

I just came back from Baja Sur. Did the sea lions dive and whale shark snorkel in La Paz (twice each), and would definitely do them again. Also did the whale watching tour in Mag Bay from Puerto San Carlos and it was sooo cool! Did a humpback watching a few days later in Cabo, and it didn't even compare to the grey whale watching in San Carlos. They really do come close to your boat, swim underneath it, and just hang out there with the boats. I'd absolutely do it again. I'd spend a night there instead of doing a day trip, cause the boats leave at 7am. If You go there as a day trip you'll probably have to leave La Paz super early. If you do spend the night, go eat at Mariscos El Tiburon. It's cheap, and the food is AMAZING!

Which dive center did you use in La Paz?

Which dive center did you use in La Paz?
Sea Lions Dive Center. Posted a trip report here earlier today.

Yep, you want Sea Lions Dive center. They have a shop at the Fonatur Marina and the owner Nacho, is a good guy and a friend.

If you want to see whales, Manuel is your guy. I've worked with him for years on various whale trips. He's a marine biologist and very knowledgeable.

Manuel Whale Tours La Paz
+52 1 612 168 1618

Yep, you want Sea Lions Dive center. They have a shop at the Fonatur Marina and the owner Nacho, is a good guy and a friend.

If you want to see whales, Manuel is your guy. I've worked with him for years on various whale trips. He's a marine biologist and very knowledgeable.

Manuel Whale Tours La Paz
+52 1 612 168 1618
Is it possibly Manolo at Deep Baja – Whale Watching, Espiritu Santo Island, Baja Tours & Freediving in Mexico ? That's the same phone number as you have listed. Thanks for the rec.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom