Lack of commitment from students?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I became certified, I have had a lot of friends discuss the "resort" certification that they paid for. You know, pay a fee, go over the very basic basics and get taken on a dive with a dm babysitting everyone in the water. I think this is adding to the idea of "pay and cert". They didn't really have to do anything at the resort, why should it matter if they do it in your class? So I have been relating the horror stories my instructor used to grab out attention that this is serious. It worked for 4 of the 5 of us.

I didn't read all the responses.

It may just be that students do not take it seriously enough. They may not have a proper understanding that people with poor skills can DIE. They may not understand that a SCUBA is basically life support and without proper fundamentals, they can DIE.

I remember when I certified 11 years ago, I didn't have that clue, I just wanted to dive. I had my paperwork done as expected, but because it was like school, it was my responsibility. I paid attention in the classes and did what was expected. A lot of people don't necessarily see it that way.

Maybe if you could come up with a presentation, or a pamphlet, laying out the dangers of the sport, and how skills = life\life support, that might get their attention.

One of my favorite terms: TOUGH LOVE. Maybe they just need some TOUGH LOVE.

I just taught a class of 5, that ended in only 4 certs.

I am a university student, and I treat my students the same way my professors would treat me. If they act as though they don't really care that is exactly the attitude I take. If they care and really want to do what it takes for the cert. then I will bend over backwards to help them reach thier goal.

I have been a high school teacher for twelve years, so I think I know a little about teaching. It is accurate to say students have changed over the years. Obviously our culture has changed over the past twelve years, so it only makes sense that attitudes, learning styles, and expectations in scuba classes have changed too. Some of these changes are for the good, and certainly some are for the worse.

My point is this...there is a cliché stating something like, "When I point my finger to accuse my students, I am also pointing four back at myself." I have had some instructors do a great job of teaching, and I have had one or two who were indubitably using the same presentations and lessons he created when he first earned his position. Whenever I see my students completely uninspired, much of the blame lies in me. Of course, one cannot reach everyone, but I do need to ACT like I can.

Perhaps some, NOT ALL, but some fault, lies with the instructor. If one is still teaching the same way he/she did ten years ago, then it is time for some overhaul. Surely a curriculum as amazing as diving should keep most students on the edge of their seats. If they are bored/lazy/whatever than something is really wrong.

Just my two cents....

The dive industry has worked very hard to compete with other pass times and sell diving to the "casual" diver. Over the years I've seen more and more of the "5 dives in ten years" type of diver. That's the way I golf LOL...I may golf this year and then again I may not. I don't practice or study it much. My short game really sucks but I don't care. A serious golfer probably wouldn't want to golf with me or have me for a student. We've marketed diving to people who want to dive the way I golf...both in quantity and quality.

I dont think it is fait to compare divnig class work to college or especially high school class work. Diving is all voluntary. I signed up, because I wanted to learn to dive. I was forced to do high school work, and most of that crap was useless, in my opinion. But when I sign up for a class, I do it because I want to learn how to use whatever skills that class has to offer. I also have the knowledge reviews done within 2 days of picking up my materials, including when I signed up for my Dive Master class. I think people also put too much into the classes, even OW. All that OW c-card does is says you have been exposed to the basics, and performed some skills to a standard good enough to be signed off on. It is up to the student diver to go out, dive and continue to build on those skills. My first 10 dives after my OW cert was going to the quarry with a OW class, and just trying to hover behind the platform the class was working on. One of those dives was 53 minutes, in 50 degree water at 22 feet, just hovering. I could have went diving at other quarries, and done 100 foot dives, but I didnt feel like I was ready for that. I did just 25 to 30 foot dives, until I was ready to take on other challenges. My LDS tells me I am by far the exception to the rule, but like someone else said earlier, its my life I am dealing with. I only get one shot at this, I dont want to learn anything the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom