Lack of shops in Longmont

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bhend16

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Why are there no shops in Longmont? I live in Berthoud and drive either to Ft. Collins or Boulder to do anything related to diving. It just seems like a strange gap in service. I guess there isn't really a question just more of a musing over the lack of a shop between Boulder and Ft. Collins.

In that area, I would say you are lucky to have the two choices that are available. I grew up in Cheyenne and while we had a local shop for a few years, most dive related purchases back then were done in Ft. Collins. It would be difficult to keep the doors open in another shop between those two areas as there is not enough in-store customers to keep it profitable. Most folks in these areas use the Internet for their purchases and a shop there would most likely not be able to compete with on-line prices. Still 20-30 minute drive to get cylinders filled or gear service is not too bad. I live in SoCal and to make a single dive with a stop at a local shop to refill cylinders is going to be roughly a five-hour commitment at best from my location, a bit more depending on traffic.

There are plenty of shops around, 17 between Colorado Springs and Ft. Collins. I just think it is interesting that no one has or has been successful starting a shop in Longmont. I am not complaining about the drive I have found some amazing people a great community amongst the divers I have met at the shops and at local meet ups, like I said more of a musing than a question.

I agree that most people shop online, which I do a fair amount of, but I still prefer to keep my dollars local as much as I can.

Use to be two dive stores in Longmont but closed about 10 - 15 years ago. I live in Loveland. Have been using High Plains Scuba for the last 20+ years. Been great to work with.

Why are there no shops in Longmont? I live in Berthoud and drive either to Ft. Collins or Boulder to do anything related to diving. It just seems like a strange gap in service. I guess there isn't really a question just more of a musing over the lack of a shop between Boulder and Ft. Collins.
Colorado Springs has a population of over a million and they have one dive shop. There were a few quite awhile ago, but they weren’t profitable. Owning a dive shop is definitely a labor of love, and most people nowadays need to run a business that actually makes money!
So, while there is a gap between Boulder and Fort Collins, it is actually kind of amazing that there are 2 shops in Fort Collins and a few in Boulder.

I want to make your drive to FoCo worthwhile. We’ll talk diving, and gear, education, travel, photography, and take the time to make sure you get the right equipment, the proper fit, and understand how to use and maintain it.
We compete with and usually beat online prices for gear, and service and warranty everything we sell.
www.codivingacademy.com

Colorado Springs has a population of over a million and they have one dive shop. There were a few quite awhile ago, but they weren’t profitable. Owning a dive shop is definitely a labor of love, and most people nowadays need to run a business that actually makes money!
So, while there is a gap between Boulder and Fort Collins, it is actually kind of amazing that there are 2 shops in Fort Collins and a few in Boulder.

I want to make your drive to FoCo worthwhile. We’ll talk diving, and gear, education, travel, photography, and take the time to make sure you get the right equipment, the proper fit, and understand how to use and maintain it.
We compete with and usually beat online prices for gear, and service and warranty everything we sell.
www.codivingacademy.com
Well @Divedoggie I would say you have. That’s why I drive with you and purchased my kit from you. Like I said in a previous post I’m very happy with the community I have found in Ft. Collins it was more of a musing then a complaint.

When I became certified, we had three shops in Boulder. I scouted them out, and the one I selected to be my base (Rocky Mountain Diving) went out of business before too long. Today there are two shops in Boulder, but they are now (as of a couple weeks ago) under one ownership.

A friend of mine opened a shop in Erie about 17 years ago. It was not successful. As Mike_4635 said, other shops in that area went out of business.

With so few local diving diving opportunities in Colorado, dive shops depend to a great deal on dive travel for their livelihood. When PADI expanded its business model to include travel, many of the shops saw PADI as competition and switched to SSI.

Teaching classes requires access to a pool, and therein lies a problem. Ocean First has its own pool, but I know that maintaining that pool costs more by itself than the benefit brought by having it for classes, so it has to rent the pool out to other aquatic businesses to make ends meet. Weavers in Boulder uses the Rec center pools, but the costs for that, especially during the Covid era, are exorbitant. When I went independent, renting pool time was simply not a financial possibility, and it was only possible if the people running the pools would return my phone calls (close to never). It will be interesting to see what will happen now that Ocean First owns Weavers.

When I became certified, we had three shops in Boulder. I scouted them out, and the one I selected to be my base (Rocky Mountain Diving) went out of business before too long. Today there are two shops in Boulder, but they are now (as of a couple weeks ago) under one ownership.

A friend of mine opened a shop in Erie about 17 years ago. It was not successful. As Mike_4635 said, other shops in that area went out of business.

With so few local diving diving opportunities in Colorado, dive shops depend to a great deal on dive travel for their livelihood. When PADI expanded its business model to include travel, many of the shops saw PADI as competition and switched to SSI.

Teaching classes requires access to a pool, and therein lies a problem. Ocean First has its own pool, but I know that maintaining that pool costs more by itself than the benefit brought by having it for classes, so it has to rent the pool out to other aquatic businesses to make ends meet. Weavers in Boulder uses the Rec center pools, but the costs for that, especially during the Covid era, are exorbitant. When I went independent, renting pool time was simply not a financial possibility, and it was only possible if the people running the pools would return my phone calls (close to never). It will be interesting to see what will happen now that Ocean First owns Weavers.

@boulderjohn I could imagine it is a hard row to sew. I feel like with the changing demographics of Longmont I wouldn't be shocked if we see someone try their hand and opening a shop in the next few years. It would have to be really stellar shop to break any of my loyalties.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom