Laguna Beach fish info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EliteDetail

Registered
Reaction score
where can I fid some good info on the net in reguards to the local underwater life? I want to find a site that will tell me what locations are good for what species, what to watch out for and what I can and cant take home to put in my fish tank if i decide to convert it over to saltwater :) Thanks for the info.

Elite Detail,
That may be a difficult undertaking considering that you will need to keep the water cooler than room temperature. You may need a water chiller, especially during warmer months. Dr. Bill, if he is reading, may know better the temp. limits that fish from our area can withstand. In college, I foolishly attempted to keep small rainbow trout that I had caught in a 100 gal. aquarium. I didn't have a chiller and was constantly putting ice in the water to keep it the same temp. as the water in which I caught them. Though it was somewhat of a neat experiment, I realized that they wouldn't survive that long, so after about a month I released them. They were still too small to eat. I too think an indigenous species tank would be interesting to keep, but for now will keep my reef tank.

Orange Coast College has a large cold water tank on display outside of the science building with local Southern California marine life. I belive it is the largest cold water private aquarium in the country. I read that somewhere, don't know if thats true any longer. Perhaps some one here can give some insight?
That would be a good resource on finding out how you could keep local fish, and the types that would survive well in an aquarium.

ive had saltwater tanks b4, I now have a 240gallon freshwater that I may convert to salt water. My last salt tank was 125 gallon and yes I had a chiller to keep the water cooler. I was just curious what kind of species I should expect to see when i start diving my local beaches more often. Thank you for all the help guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom