Lake Denton - Avon Park, Monday September 1st

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Bob,

Yes I was there Saturday. We spent about 3 hours in the water :D. I can't take credit for all the work though. The guy who's putting it all together is an instructor and owner of a local dive shop. He's name is Mike Edmonston and he spends a lot of time in Lake Denton. If anyone needs anything dive related or fills while in town you should look him up.

He's a member on the board here and the store is Technical Scuba Training Center.

www.floridatechdive.com

We're having a lot of fun making it more interesting to dive there. Hope everyone keeps coming and enjoying it too.

Later,

Willem

Hi Bob,

Yes I was there Saturday. We spent about 3 hours in the water :D. I can't take credit for all the work though. The guy who's putting it all together is an instructor and owner of a local dive shop. He's name is Mike Edmonston and he spends a lot of time in Lake Denton. If anyone needs anything dive related or fills while in town you should look him up.

He's a member on the board here and the store is Technical Scuba Training Center.

www.floridatechdive.com

We're having a lot of fun making it more interesting to dive there. Hope everyone keeps coming and enjoying it too.

Later,

Willem

I remembered seeing your red Oxychek wing last Saturday. Nice setup. I like what you guys are doing, you're making "Tropical Lake Denton" a much better training venue. I will have a rescue class there next month and I'm excited to be able to take them there instead of Hudson Grotto. :palmtree: Bob

The guy who's putting it all together is an instructor and owner of a local dive shop. He's name is Mike Edmonston and he spends a lot of time in Lake Denton. If anyone needs anything dive related or fills while in town you should look him up.

www.floridatechdive.com

Where is his store located? It wold be nice to know where to get fills and such while in town. The link you included is just to an on-line store.

Sorry,

I thought the site had the address under the "Contact Us" button but it's not there.

Try this,

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sad....524409,-81.460533&spn=0.102756,0.137501&z=13

The address is 3901 Kenilworth Blvd., Sebring.

I'll alert Mike to this thread and let him post whatever contact info he wants. He's got a great fill station including PPB nitrox and trimix, and good prices to boot.

Later,

Willem

Hey, thats a bit of drive for me, but I'd love to check it out. If anyone is planning to make the drive, I'd like to tag along.

Thanks folks!

- Boats

(I would love to refresh my underwater NAV skills)

Hi Everyone,

Lots of good stuff going on at our lake right now. Over the last 2 weeks, our team put in over 1500' of new lines throughout the entire course in the lake.

There is now a line going to the "deep section" 42', and terminates at a boat that we moved last week.

We installed a complete navigation course marked with cinder blocks and PVC at cardinal bearings from the end of the nav line. They are exactly 100' apart and exactly square (we used a GPS and will post the coords when we finish everything)

We relined the 100' "kick line" for measuring your kick cycles for navigation.

Today we installed an old rider that is tethered to the bottom with a 30' line. It is designed to be used in search and recovery classes and we also installed steel cables for lift bag anchor points. If you go to the kick line, and swim to the 50' mark (there is a steel anchor there), you can then take a bearing on your compass to 300 degrees, and swim until you reach the anchor point. From there you can follow the tether to the rider and do your lift. We purposely put it in the silt. You must have good buoyancy and perfect trim, or you will have 1' vis. Good luck :popcorn:

We also installed a buoyancy course with hulla hoops tethered to the bottom on cinder blocks. They will test your buoyancy control and your trim. There is as much as 7' of height difference between the hoops. This course is located in the middle of the main lines, and we have tied a side line going to it. You can't miss it.

We ziptied "kermity frog" at the 4 way intersection. Kermit's head points to the deep section, his right arm points to the nav course, his left arm points to the back line, and his legs are tied to the main line. Please do not remove / mutilate / or take naked pictures with Kermit. :wink:

Now, when you're at the church camp, and you're at the edge of the water, you will see 3 wooden posts in a row. Take a bearing of 200 degrees at the bottom most post, and you will reach the beginning of the main line in approximately 140'.

We have formed a line committee for the lake. Please tell me if you see a break or a problem with a line, and we will repair / replace it. Please don't add any new lines without contacting us first, we might want to jump in the water and come along for the fun :eyebrow:

If you guys need air, or nitrox, make sure you call me ahead of time, and I can show up at the lake with full tanks for you. Active instructors get free fills from my shop. There are also cabins at the camp where you can spend the night. Cost is $15 per person, per night.

We will be hosting a BBQ and "Tech day" at the lake in the near future. Come down for food, diving, and Demo some of the latest tech gear on the market. Dates will be announced on-line and on this thread. I will also offer 10% off everything in the store during Tech day.

The cost of diving through the camp is $10 per diver. Instructors need proof of current insurance and creds.

If you have any questions, please call my shop at (863)-471-DIVE (3483).

I am looking forward to meeting all of you in the near future.

Save Diving all,

Cool. I will make it down for that whenever you do it. How did you guys deal with the boat issue? I was hearing a while back that there was an issue of boats running around over divers heads and that the residents didn't want divers there. I was just wondering how you guys resolved that issue.

The "Lake Commitee" in their infinite wisdom voted to close the public boat ramp to deny us all free access to the lake. It actually works out well for the divers since it all but eliminates the boat traffic. We are forced to go through the church camp which in my opinion is a good thing since they provide facilities for divers. It completely stopped the swimmers from showing up as well as the group of "bad apples" that needed to be dealt with anyway.

The $10 for entry goes to a really good cause, so I don't see that as much of a down side. We are trying to make diving there fun and worth the drive so that anyone can enjoy themselves.

Later,

Willem

Cool. I'm glad to hear it. It sounds like everyone wins this way. I look forward to diving it again. While we are chatting here let me change the subject for a minute. Do you guys do the "Try Scuba" thing? I have a friend of mine that wants to try it and we are having a hard time getting it scheduled around here. If you guys do it depending on the price I would be willing to head over there and let you guys do it.

Cool. I'm glad to hear it. It sounds like everyone wins this way. I look forward to diving it again. While we are chatting here let me change the subject for a minute. Do you guys do the "Try Scuba" thing? I have a friend of mine that wants to try it and we are having a hard time getting it scheduled around here. If you guys do it depending on the price I would be willing to head over there and let you guys do it.

Yes I run "try Scuba" clinics. The cost is $25 per diver, which is refundable if the diver signs up for a class. Call me at the shop tomorrow and we can discuss it.

Safe Diving,

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom