Lake divers checkout dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you truly think quarries are easy, I'd be glad to take you down to 60+ ft (42 degree water) in 1- 2 ft vis. (on a good day). Sure, there is no currents, but the cold water & low vis can make for a pretty hostile environment. I personally will not dive deep in a quarry without redundant air supply. I've experienced a free flow at depth & have had a buddy had the same happen.

Been there, done that. I've done a lot of quarry diving.

Furthermore, you are making a big assumption about the ocean diving I was referring to. Not all ocean diving is warm with good visibility. None of my quarry dives even comes close to this ocean dive: low 40s, less than 10ft vis, ripping current, 4 ft seas, twisted metal, unexploded ordinance, nets, fishing line, jelly fish, black tip shark, 110ft deep, the real possibility of becoming lost at sea, and all more than 2 hrs from the nearest medical care.

I stand by what I said.

I've dove alot of lakes, quarries, and some oceans. The lakes/quarries tend to be colder, darker, and have extreme temperature changes. Lakes and quarries have timber and sometimes big timber. At any point in a dive on a lake you might instantly find yourself in a 0 viz situation just by descending a foot or two. I haven't seen that in an ocean yet nor have I dove 42 deg ocean water.

This time of year it is quite common in places to dive around here where the surface is 80+ deg and 60+ feet temps would be low50's to 40's.

With that said, I dont care which you learned in both have their pros and cons. You still need to learn and familiarize yourself with the location you are going to dive.

Been there, done that. I've done a lot of quarry diving.

Furthermore, you are making a big assumption about the ocean diving I was referring to. Not all ocean diving is warm with good visibility. None of my quarry dives even comes close to this ocean dive: low 40s, less than 10ft vis, ripping current, 4 ft seas, twisted metal, unexploded ordinance, nets, fishing line, jelly fish, black tip shark, 110ft deep, the real possibility of becoming lost at sea, and all more than 2 hrs from the nearest medical care.

I stand by what I said.

In the spirit of the OP's first post...

Pardna', someone new to the ocean would need a WHOLE LOT MORE than a "checkout dive" before entering the environment you are talking about. That is way above and beyond what the OP had in mind, I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom