Lake diving ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And, for a change, you can nip over from Ontario and dive even more wrecks here in Michigan. Same great viz (for fresh water), same green/brown fish. But, ah, the wrecks!

WaterGal, The zerba mussle do have a couple of petators down here. The shell cracker and the blue cat. They eat the smaller ones but eat they do and grow big. They have shell crackers that broke the state record two years in the row. The last two have weighted over 4lbs and that is big for a bream.
The Lakes in lower SC, are a must dive if you dont mind vis measured in inches and there is no other mud hole available.

The fist 15 yrs. of my life was spent diving the lakes of NE Pennsylvania. Some of them are so small you would never find them on a map. The lakes have many varieties of fish: bluegill, s.m. bass, perch, walleye, catfish, trout, etc.

Once you descend below the thermocline, the visibility would commonly reach between 20 - 40 ft (depending on the time of year and weather conditions).

Diving in Pa lakes means cold water diving. During the summer months the surface water temp. would commonly reach in the mid 70's but below the thermocline the temp. would drop into the mid 40's. This meant layering with neoprene. I commonly dove with 6.5mm farmer-john and jacket, hooded vest , three-fingered neoprene mittens and boots.

Besides from fish watching, one of our favorite past-times would be searching for antique bottles. We found all varieties from local bottling companies that have all since vanished: milk, beer, medicine, soda. I found a Coke bottle that was dated December 25, 1916. Apparently Coke dated their bottles back in the old days.

Since I live in Wisconsin most of my diving is in lake and there is tons of things to see and do. The shipwrecks are the best because there is no salt and the water temps are so cold the wrecks are well preserved. If there is nothing in the lake to look at I make the dive a training dive. Everyone needs to practice the basics. So for me every dive is awesome even if there is nothing to look at.
Good diving and enjoy the fresh water.

Brothers & Sisters of the Briny, (and Fresh), Deep,
Peter, et alia,

You can do some towing and see a greater amount of the lake. With the U.S. Army Corps of Engineer maps it's a fascinating trip.

Clubs can do obstacle courses or navigational challenges without the current factor. Nice for beginner training. Learning thermoclines, search & rescue technique, practice raising sunken cars, snowmobiles and all other manner of debris.

I was an S&R diver for law enforcement in Wisconsin. (Hello BigDiver!) Our dives were not for recreational purposes, but to comfort the families.

Tell us about diving Australia, Mate?

Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

As for fresh water lakes. I dive at flooded rock quarry. The vis is 50 ft. There is not a lot to see there but it is a very good place to work on honing you skills. We take off BC and go through the rocks and put them back on. It can be fun if you make it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom