lake george diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
going there the first weekend of Sept. don't know which area yet.

1- is there any diving there and where
2-dive shop location
3-water temp and vis if there is diving

all4scuba05:

2-dive shop location

I have not been in Lake George, but I have been doing some research for future plans.
The one dive shop I have come across, Rich Morin's Scuba Shop in Glens Falls, NY. Here is his link :http://www.morinsdivecenters.com/frame.htm

If you do some diving in Lake George please give some feedback on your experience.
Hope you have a good time.

Jim

all4scuba05:

2-dive shop location

I dive the lake frequently. Morans is the local shop, about 30 min from the lake. They run charters, I think in the southern basin of the lake. The best diving is the northern basin. Less boat traffic, better vis.........30ft.
The oldest intact vessel of war in the Northern Hemisphere is locate in about 100-110 ft in the southern basin. There's alot of interesting rock formations & walls to dive. Several places to do artifact hunting........mainly bottles from the 1800's, also stuff from the French & Indian War.(you're supposed to turn those in).
As far as the charters, I don't know much about them, I dive from a private boat. Nor do I know about cost of air/nitrox......mix my own gasses.
Water temp at depth usualy mid to high 40's, warming up to the high seventies in the shallows.
Hope this helps.

There is some mediocre diving in the Lake. A couple of charters, and shore diving from Hearthstone Campground and Rogers Rock. Nothing very interesting at all.. the charters might be worth looking into.

Did all of my training in Lake George.
Hearthstone State campground is where the only LDS does training. (Nice campground)
Charters will go just about anywhere you want to go, lots to see and discover.
Check out the link for prices. http://www.morinsdivecenters.com/frame.htm
Vis has been from 15ft (rainy day) to 25-30ft Temp mid 70`s at 30ft mid 60`s at 60ft
Consider signing up for a class with Morin`s You won`t regret it!

I dove Lake George and it was awesome! I don't remember the dive shop but I think it was Morin's. It was in Glenns Falls and about 30 from the lake.

The vis was about 40 feet. There was a lot of surf though. A friend of mine had a small bass boat and that is what we took but it was not that far from shore of one of the islands. The bottom is really well signlized. They had signs saying what was the boat and etc... REALLY worth it!

No lobsters though... :(

Back
Top Bottom