Lake Rawlings, Virginia incident 11-05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreck

Reaction score
I'll try to sum up what I observed first-hand and heard yesterday from others that were also on hand. Please pardon the ommission of any details - perhaps someone with more familiarity with the incident will be kind enough to fill those in so we can all learn from this.

In the late morning, a surfacing diver in the 60' area called for help from the lake. If memory serves me correctly, I think the diver requested a backboard. The first reaction of those around me was that the diver was stress and rescue class student in the middle of an exercise. At this point, just about everyone on shore was looking to see what was going on. The first thing I thought of was that a student should never be making realistic pleas for help for a class. (This had happened within the past year at the same location) Maybe everyone can see the irony already.

A couple canoes were on the lake and helped tow the male "rescuer" and female victim to shore. The victim was not breathing when removed from the water. Two doctors happened to be on hand and began examining the victim, although it did not appear that either knew standard diving accident protocol & procedures. An affiliate of Chesapeake Bay Diving offered their oxygen kit, which they had at hand, and set it up for use on the victim. Although not breathing, the victim had a pulse. The victim's wetsuit was cut off. The victim apparently had a few spasms to spit out water, and began sporadic breathing again. Eye and voice contact were established. The victim was able to flex muscles as asked, but weakly. A few periods followed where the victim stopped breathing and would start again. The victim knew her name, aware of where she was at, and the day(?) The victim experienced a few emotional moments as well. A stretcher/board was brought down to the shore. The victim was placed on the board and taken to the Lake Rawlings office to await transport out by ambulance. I was later told it took 35 minutes before a volunteer(?) ambulance was sent down from the Petersburg area. During the entire episode, I don't recall seeing anyone making notes of the accident, recording the victims conditions, observations, etc.

I was later told that there was a Rawlings employee on the floating dock, but she did not have an oxygen kit at hand.

Everything from here on is second/third-hand information so please treat it as rumors only, and take them with a grain of salt - we all know how rumors and misinformation spread! The victim was in an advanced open water class at the time of the accident. The victim and her buddy were swimming together when he noticed she was not keeping up with him. He looked back and saw her motionless in the water with her regulator out of her mouth. Her buddy then ascended with her to the surface rather quickly and called for help. The victim's instructor had a handlebar mustache and may have been affiliated with a shop named "... (Ad)ventures" Whoever they are, they have the real scoop.

Safe diving~

It will be interesting to learn what happened here.

I agree & the lack of medical support by the Rawlings staff is disheartening. Without the O2 from a dive shop it could have been much worse.Not laying blame, but with the amount of divers using their facilaties something is bound to happen. Ive seen plenty out of breath just making it back up the hill.
The last time I was there a diver came out & when he got his gear off he needed to lay down & boy did it sound like he was dying, it scared Trina & myself to the point we asked him if he was OK & he said he was fine just needed a break.
Our sport is not the recreation most think. Its extreme & should be taken serious from a health standpoint.You dont need to be Mr. Olympus, but extremly overweight & smoking 2 packs a day puts everyone around at risk. Just my opinion.
I hope the diver is OK. Thats the main point.

RAD Diver:
I agree & the lack of medical support by the Rawlings staff is disheartening. Without the O2 from a dive shop it could have been much worse.
The initial oxygen may have been provided by someone else, but before long there were two DAN kits there and an extra oxygen bottle. In addition, one of the employees of Rawlings said they had more up at the shop.

sorry to hear about htis. Rawlings is where my g-friend and I took our ow dives at about 2 months ago. Hard to believe the staff wasn't prepared for this, and sad it took so long for the rescue squad to get there. Hope all is well for the diver involved.

jsmharley:
sorry to hear about htis. Rawlings is where my g-friend and I took our ow dives at about 2 months ago. Hard to believe the staff wasn't prepared for this, and sad it took so long for the rescue squad to get there. Hope all is well for the diver involved.
Alright people, listen up...

THE STAFF WAS PREPARED! One of the DAN kits was provided by Rawlings. It was one of the Rawlings employees (not the victim) that called for the backboard. And I'm pretty sure it was one of the Rawlings employees who made the initial determination to call an ambulance.

As for the ambulance taking so long... well frankly I think it was luck it only took 30 minutes! Lake Rawlings is in Brunswick (or Dinwiddie, can't remember) county and in case the cow pasture next to the Nottoway Hotel didn't tip you off, that means it's in a rural area. Furthermore, there is a sign at Rawlings with the number for the Sheriff and FD on it because there is no 911 service in that area. Once you leave northern VA or the tidewater VA is a very rural state.

The first reaction of those around me was that the diver was stress and rescue class student in the middle of an exercise. At this point, just about everyone on shore was looking to see what was going on. The first thing I thought of was that a student should never be making realistic pleas for help for a class. (This had happened within the past year at the same location) Maybe everyone can see the irony already.
That's a real risk. Rescue classes happen at popular training sites often, so it's easy to think that a call for help is a part of one. Of course a student should be taught otherwise, but it's gonna' happen.

Real emergencies happen often at popular training sites, too. Treat every call for help as it's real, until proven otherwise. Three of us once ascended from the 80 ft bottom of Santa Rosa NM's Blue Hole, became separated in a crowd in the shallows, and then - I could only find one of my buddies on the surface. I pleaded for help in finding the missing one ASAP, but no one reacted, and I returned to the bottom alone on my pony air. Even my other buddy who was low on air didn't try to send help or anything. Found the lost diver at the car later, as he'd simply surfaced quickly and left the hole. He was so embarrassed that he skipped the rest of the diving and drove 200 miles home, and I still haven't spoken with him. I still dive with the other, but we have new, stronger protocols.

I don't know your site but training and real sites are often remote. Be as prepared as possible for real emergencies, act as quickly and efficiently as possible, but expect to be somewhat on your own if you have one.

In the UK most Rescue diver candidates do NOT shout help - generally its "Pizza" so that other divers know whats going on. RD inwater dives are generally communicated to the dive site prior to diving. It helps sort out the real diver problems

Kirky:
In the UK most Rescue diver candidates do NOT shout help - generally its "Pizza" so that other divers know whats going on. RD inwater dives are generally communicated to the dive site prior to diving. It helps sort out the real diver problems
Yeah, I think that's what they teach here, too. I guess some are going to forget and hollar help by mistake, and like the orignator said - he wondered if it was really a class.

My point is, if anyone calls for help - altho it could be a mistake, go for it like it's real until proven otherwise.

cornfed:
The initial oxygen may have been provided by someone else, but before long there were two DAN kits there and an extra oxygen bottle. In addition, one of the employees of Rawlings said they had more up at the shop.

That is really good to hear as we go to Rawlings 3-4 times a year.

Back
Top Bottom