Lake Ray Roberts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jedi

Registered
Reaction score
My best friend (certified rescue diver / DM) lives about 1/4 mile from the Isle Du Bois entrance of Lake Ray Roberts. He mentioned that he has several maps detailing the submerged buldings, forests, graveyards and roads as well as depth charts.

What we can't find is anyone who has done any diving on the lake.

I figured ya'll probably have dipped your toes in every puddle south of the Red river so.....

Anyone? Any details you can offer?

Never heard of it. Where's it located? Texas is big....give us a hint!

Lake Ray Roberts is a 29,350 acre Corps of Engineers lake on the Elm Fork of the Trinity River just East of Denton, Tx. Max depth is 106 ft.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/rayrob/

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/infish/lakes/rroberts/lake_id.htm

The lake is surrounded by two state park units (Isle du Bois and Johnson Branch), six satellite parks, as well as Wildlife Management Areas, wetlands, and waterfowl sanctuaries. All the parks are open. Jordan Unit contains 477 acres; Pond Creek - 20 acres; Pecan Creek - 48 acres; Buck Creek - 11 acres; Sanger - 20 acres; and Elm Fork - 290 acres. (horse trails, bike trails, camping, etc...you name it)

rayrob2.gif

Hi Jedi,

My wife and I love to go camping at Isle de Bois, but haven't had the chance to get up there since I started diving. I would love to get my hands on those maps and check out the diving in Ray Robers. If you or your friend are looking for a partner to do some exploring, just give me a holler. My number is 817/300-8730.

Have dove by the dam across from the campground. Low vis, just rocks. You need a boat. I would be interested in the dive info. on the lake. Why not post it on the board for everyone.

Ric

I'll see if I can get my hands on it. I think it is in an archaic paper form, but if I can scan it I would have no problem posting up the details.

Comment from my friend:
The map is a fishing map available at Wal-Mart and such. It give GPS coordinates on various pieces of bottom structure that would be interesting to fishermen. (old bridges, roads, buildings and such. I think the contours are either 10ft or 5ft. It may not be detailed enough for divers with out excessive amount of electronic gear.

I think what it is going to take to find any of the pre-lake structures
is GPS to the general location, fish/depth finder to locate structure, drop anchor, and
follow the anchor rope to the bottom and see what you have found. On visibility, hopefully we will be able to see our feet.

..and it's a nice lake. It's an exellent fishing lake...some really big bass and lot's of sandies and crappie. It's big and good for waterskiing, but as far as diving goes... well, it's not fed by a spring like the Lake Travis, Lake Murray or the Texas quarries are, so the vis would brobably be better measured in inches rather than feet. I've never dived it but I've been fishing, skiing and swimming there many times. There are detailed maps of it because it is a fairly new lake and there are 14 pound black bass in the right spots so the bassfishermen are really up on the bottom contour of the lake.

I'm with Zag. I really wouldn't recommend it. Vis is apt to be low, I'm not sure I would trust the fisher folk to leave your flag alone. I wouldn't recommend diving without a flag. There is probably going to be fishing line and lures scattered around.

You would definitely need a boat to access most spots. Also realize, the buildings will be nothing more than concrete slabs. Yes, there will be a BUNCH of submerged trees, fence posts roads, etc.

If you decide to do it, I would recommend full wet suit, gloves, at least two cutting implements, a flag, and go during the week.

TwoBit

I'm up for it. Even if the viz is low (well, at least 1.5 ft) -- if someone knows of some cool u/w structure or a place to get over 50' not too far from the shore I would like to know about it. email me at (my scubaboard username)@hotmail.com Thanx -Nick

Hi Jedi,

My wife and I love to go camping at Isle de Bois, but haven't had the chance to get up there since I started diving. I would love to get my hands on those maps and check out the diving in Ray Robers. If you or your friend are looking for a partner to do some exploring, just give me a holler. My number is 817/300-8730.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom