Lake Travis vis report 01/18/2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tend to estimate the max distance that I can resolve meaningful detail.

If I can see a dark blob 15' away, but can't distinguish whether it's a diver or a 55-gal drum, I don't report 15' vis...

I can certainly understand Teknadv3x's point. Thats why, I keep my opinions on viz to myself and take viz reports from other folks with a grain of salt. Not because its an overly optimistic report, but there are way too many variables to be taken into account.
My $0.02 worth.

My last dive at Lake Travis was January 10. Yes, we had 8-10 foot vis, just as we did on New Years Day. We judged that from the distance we could see at the sailboats on our second dive and from objects on the first one. All three of us agreed on the vis.
Since, that time we have had several fronts come through with high winds. North wind slams waves into Windy Point park and Bob Wentz park, thus reducing visability due to the silt stirred up by the winds. Sometimes Mansfield Park will be a better option if that is happening. If the wind is blowing hard enough I have seen it whip around the Mansfield point and go along the shore line towards the dam, thus messing that side up too. During the past week, we have had high winds in the Austin area, 20-30 mph and gusts higher.
If you want to travel to Lake Travis you need to check the weather for the time you are planning to be here AND the week prior. Great water conditions one weekend will probably change by the next weekend. If you are reading a dive report that is more than a day or two old, probably the conditions have changed since that report. Someone mentioned 5 foot visability. That's great for January! The last several years it has been a foot or less in January and February. The spring like weather we had the last half of December and first couple of weeks of January is probably the reason for the nice visability through that time period.
Here is a link to News8Austin's weather page:
http://news8austin.com/content/weather/
And here is an article this morning on Lake Travis:
http://news8austin.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=154082

Teknadv3x:
Yes lake is fairly low, but plenty of water to still dive. Just terrible vis. Someone had mentioned in a recent post that that the vis was 8-10. So we opted to make the
3 & 1/2 hr drive on that report. I should of known better. The only place that there was 8-10 vis was up on the hill at the picnic table. Whoever you were that made that post. Some of us base our dive plans on accurate imfo! In the future until you learn how to judge vis, please do not post a vis report.:wink:

Dave

I'm sooo sorry if I offended you Dave. All I was saying is you probably shouldn't knock someone elses dive report unless you were there with them on that dive. Only they know what it was when they were there. If you choose to drive the 3 1/2 hrs down here to dive, then that's up to you.eyebrow

Teknadv3x:
John,
bless your heart for bringing that observation to our attention. You know I have 453 dives in 11 years @ Travis I am so glad you gave me the heads up on the lake condition factor. Now maybe we can figure out when to make a trip up to the Lake. Or better yet just tell us when is the best time to pull off dives at Travis when it has good vis. and could we also please get you to tell us in detail why the lake's vis is good then?

Thanks in advance
Dave

PS: John,
If I wanted warm water maybe I should not be diving Travis In January, what do you think? Also if I wanted pristene vis maybe I should dive Akumal not Coz. what do you think?

I'll be diving lake Travis tomorow morning (I believe it is dive 40 something in Travis for me). If you would like to have you're 454th (I'm very impressed:10: ) get up early, I'll be at windy point at 10am. Expecting 3-5 vis. Lots of wind lately.

John

dove barstows this morning, and 3-5 is accurate. at about 70 it was almost 0 visibility. i was under a platfprm and did not relize it till i bumped it. but no vis diving is better than no diving.

BFM:
dove barstows this morning, and 3-5 is accurate. at about 70 it was almost 0 visibility. i was under a platfprm and did not relize it till i bumped it. but no vis diving is better than no diving.

Sounds like a fine way to spend a saturday morning. I think I'll bring a tape measure for an "accurate" vis report. :D

shaggie:
Sounds like a fine way to spend a saturday morning. I think I'll bring a tape measure for an "accurate" vis report. :D
Shaggie,
Who are you diving with? Sorry, dont mean to hijack this thread.

Dave you know that vis is going to suck hard when you have shore diving with mullets
But then mullets like low vis.........

Thank God I have a boat..........

actually it was friday morning. and it is a great way to start the day. we meet around 6:30 am and in the water by 7 or a little after. since i am off on fridays it is a great way to start the weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom