Lake Travis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LVX:
Anyone have any idea where in the lake you can get 251 even when the lake is at 681?

Okay okay, I checked. my contour map says lowest elevation is 510 so when the lake is at 681 that area is 171 ft.

I could have sworn I've seen 200' plus on my boat's depth finder though (near the dam).:coffee:

PvilleStang:
Jeez, you can't even over-exaggerate on these boards ...
Maybe you should have said ...
I'm so excited,
I just cant hide it,
you know, you know, you know I like it ...

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Willie

Tx_Jeff:
Good Lake Travis Info ...
http://floodstatus.lcra.org/

About halfway down the page ...
Lake Travis
Last Update: 3/31/2007 12.6 AM

Inflows: Inflows to Lake Travis from the Pedernales and Lake Marble Falls will remain high this evening. The Pedernales River at Johnson City exceeded flood stage Friday evening from 5 to 10 p.m.

Gate Operations: No gate operations for flood are expected.

Lake level forecast (Forecast is subject to change as conditions develop): Lake Travis will continue to rise this afternoon and evening and is forecast to reach about 665 to 666 ft msl by mid-day Saturday, about 666 to 667 ft msl by midnight Saturday, and about 667 ft msl by Monday.​

Willie

ianr33:
By my reckoning the river channel at Windy Point is 165' deep when the lake is full (681) Might be a little deeper at the base of the dam (maybe 180??)
But, how many feet of silt is that? :)

Just doing a quick scan of a survey completed in the fall of 1936, the lowest elevation I see was 488.1' MSL. I estimate that point to have been just over 4200' upstream from the current dam. The lowest elevation I see west of Barstow's is 495.1' MSL.

I cant find my copy at the moment, but I believe the recent LCRA map states that it was based on soundings carried out in 1968 and it shows a lowest elevation of 501` about 1 mile upstream from the dam.
LowerTravis.jpg
If my memory is correct (a big if) that would mean 180' deep at that point. On that map I didnt see any specific soundings but the contours seem to indicate about 160-169' off Barstow's if the lake is at 681'.

Willie

loosebits:
Here's an overlay of a LCRA topo I did in Google Earth (need Google Earth to view).
Cool Rand, that is the same map that I got the elevations from. I am downloading the file now.

Willie

I have a slightly better aligned version. I straightened the image so the farthest right longitude line was vertical (it was almost 1 deg from vertical) and then cropped it so the to the upper left/lower right corners of the outside long/lat lines and then lined those coords up with google earth instead of eyeballing it. It's still not perfect as the long/lat lines on the topo don't intersect at precisely right angles.

It's also about 2 MB as I couldn't get it compressed anymore without tossing out pixels. Let me know if you want it.

666.32 - I didn't get to go out this weekend but was out the weekend before. The lake level has risen 13 feet since then. That is an amazing amount of water to enter the lake in just over 7 days...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom