Lake Travis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon:
Speaking of queens...when I was at SXSW recently, I saw a Leslie refrigerator magnet set at one of the 6th Street gift shops.

ROFL....ya' gotta' love Austin.

How was SXSW this year? Who all did you see play?

ScubaTexan:
How was SXSW this year? Who all did you see play?

Were is that dang Mod. when you need him....start your on chat thread....we are covering 'serious stuff' here like coupons and shopping cards and the like!! :mooner: :rofl3: :wink: :D

I dove Lake Travis last weekend. The vis was around 10 ft. and the thermocline was real noticeable below 45-50 feet. I was quite chilly at 70 ft.
Looking forward to some warmer water temps!

We dove at Mansfield Park Dive area yesterday. Vis was 6-10 feet depending on where we were. Vis was better in the shallow areas. We had 6-8 foot vis at 116 feet near the dam. I could read my dive computer using available light at 85 feet. The deep sailboat's bow was at 45 feet. the shallow sailboat's stern was at 35 feet. There was a thermocline in the 50-55 foot range. Water temp ranged from 66-59 on my computer. There were sunfish, bass, fresh water drum and a couple of yellowhead catfish.

Is there a map of the underwater features in the Mansfield Park Dive area?

I found one online for the Bob Wentz area, but I haven't seen anything like that for the Mansfield Park Area.

I'm trying to get the lay of the land (and lake bottom) before taking wife and son out there to dive for the weekend. All assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

Only think I've ever seen is a sail boat (right near the dam fairly shallow) and set of irons. I took the irons with me.

What I like about diving the dam is the contours. It's a very steep drop until you get towards the river bottom.

I don't know about a map, but most of the junk that there is to see is right by the diving entrance. It is all linked by lines. If you go to any of the buoys and follow the line down you should find something, follow the underwater lines around and it should lead you to various things that have been placed there. There is also a boat very close to the dam itself, I am not sure what the current depth is.

You can also dive the cove side which is an interesting dive. You don't have the junk that there is on the dam side but there are some walls, etc... There are some nice grottos and swimthroughs off the point but if you do it I would highly recommend diving thirds because you do not want to have to surface into boat traffic. You should also carry a SMB or some other surface marking device that you can send up to keep from getting hit by a boat if you must surface in the middle of the lake. In order to get very far out you will need good air consumption and/or a a tank larger than an aluminum 80.

~Jess

pcornell:
Is there a map of the underwater features in the Mansfield Park Dive area?

I found one online for the Bob Wentz area, but I haven't seen anything like that for the Mansfield Park Area.

I'm trying to get the lay of the land (and lake bottom) before taking wife and son out there to dive for the weekend. All assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

This is an older one http://home.flash.net/~piscestx/map.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom