laparoscopic surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Giggi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
One thing I didn't see listed on the thread about women's health issues and diving is laparoscopic surgery. I know with hysterectomy, and also with some types of gallbladder surgeries, part of the process entails blowing air into the body cavity being explored or worked on so that the surgeon can better see into that cavity with the lighted scope.

Does anyone with any medical knowledge know whether the recovery time is the same as it is for general surgery, and/or whether or how the addition of air into a body cavity during surgery would affect diving risks. Understandably in non-laparoscopic surgery, the inside of the body cavity is actually exposed to air, then is sewn up, and I don't expect that a surgeon would "burp" the air out of the body before closing up; HOWEVER, I wonder how much air remains in the body cavity post-surgery in the two differing types of surgery, the residual effects of such air; and how laparascopic surgery could possibly affect diving and the risks of DCI, and whether diving risks are different than general surgery, given a normal recovery time.

I realize that these are good questions for my physician, but frankly, I'm in northern Illinois and there just aren't a lot of surgeons around here who understand dive medicine, and I'm sure that none of them are covered by my insurance.

Anyone?...anyone?....Bueller?

Both laparascopic and open surgery result in gas free in the abdomen. The gas is generally completely absorbed within a week. Since no one would be cleared to return to diving in less than that time, I don't think it's an issue.

Recovery time from laparascopic surgery is generally faster, simply because there is less pain (no abdominal muscles divided) and better mobility. But heavy lifting (as in moving dive gear) is generally restricted for several weeks, to allow the small abdominal incisions to heal.

Back
Top Bottom