Laredo and Corpus Christi Dive Site Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I finally moved in down here in Laredo. I would like to do some diving here in the next few months. I have been to Amistad before and it was excellent as far as lakes go. Vis was around 15 ft and it was 56 degrees in late December. Great rock formations and descent fish life. The lake level is much higher now than it was then. My tanks are still in OK so I need to find somewhere to rent some tanks. Laredo has one dive shop listed in the phone book and when I investigated the address it turned out to be a house not a dive shop. Any info would be appreciated.

Gillty

I tried to call a dive shop down there a few weeks ago and couldn't find one. If you can't find any local divers online to ask where to go, you might see if the local fire station has a dive team. They should know the closest shop.

Goose

I have been to the dive shop on Amistad. It is basically an air fill station located inside a gas station/garage. I will have to do some research to come up with the phone number but let me know if you want it and I can probably find it.

Gillty

Gillty:

Try calling John McIntyre at the Scuba Shack in McAllen. He is 150 miles away but that is the most proffesional dive shop in South Texas. He does trips into Mexico, lakes, springs, and cenotes and also does stuff in the gulf weather permitting. He also has good prices on gear and such. Give him a shout if you have a chance as he has clients from all over Mexico and up that way also.

Gillty:
Goose

I have been to the dive shop on Amistad. It is basically an air fill station located inside a gas station/garage. I will have to do some research to come up with the phone number but let me know if you want it and I can probably find it.

Gillty

I'll be more interested to hear your opinion of the dive site. I've got more salt in my veins than fresh, so I'm more likely to make the drive to Freeport or Port Aransas unless Amistad has something to draw me.

A few months ago I ran into a guy who is the Service Manager at Tommie Vaughn Ford in Houston. He was the former co-owner of the only dive shop in Laredo. He told me that he and his partner closed the actual shop and moved it to one of their houses garage. They basically couldnt make any money at this. He estimated there were only about 600 certified divers in Laredo, very few of which were active. He still does tank inspections from the dealership. I got a tank inspected there while getting an oil change.

Not good news but pretty accurate description of the dive scene in Laredo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom