Las Animas Hammerheads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very cool! How deep?

Great video. We did a Cocos Island trip back around 1992 and all the Hammerheads were deep. Very deep. We were doing 190' on air for 20 seconds of shark-level video. Insane looking back on it but we survived so there is that. 😎 The last time I dived Las Animas was 1986 on the old Baja Explorador. Nasty ship that. Loved the shallow diving around the island. M

Great video. We did a Cocos Island trip back around 1992 and all the Hammerheads were deep. Very deep. We were doing 190' on air for 20 seconds of shark-level video. Insane looking back on it but we survived so there is that. 😎 The last time I dived Las Animas was 1986 on the old Baja Explorador. Nasty ship that. Loved the shallow diving around the island. M

Thanks for the compliment & sharing your old story!

I dove in Manuelita Outside (Cocos) in 2018 & in Darwin (Galapagos) in 2022, got close encounters with the hammerheads in much shallower depth, around 80’.

Nice video Dan. Kristina caught some of the stragglers on video at 112', she and Wayne were the only ones from our group who saw them.

Reactions: Dan
Nice video Dan. Kristina caught some of the stragglers on video at 112', she and Wayne were the only ones from our group who saw them.

Thanks for the compliment!

The first group (Mantas) scared them away. The luck of the draw, early bird gets the worm.

I went to 128’ (39m) & they were still below me. I let @Soloist answers for his footage.

I think the bottom was around 150’ (45m). We used EAN30, so MOD for PPO2 1.6 = 142’ (43m)
We (Mantas :wink: ) might have spotted the hammerheads in a slightly shallower area. I hit 120 and Eric was only slightly deeper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom