Lauderdale by the Sea Dive Reports 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pipehorse

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
In the past when posting about a dive at Lauderdale by the Sea, I have posted a "Trip Report" thread, with different dives. "Trip Report" isn't really appropriate in my case, it is only an hour long drive from my house. "Dive Report" seems like a more appropriate phrase. So, this year I would like to start a thread devoted to LBTS "dive reports" similar to the threads for Palm Beach Dives, Jupiter Dives, and Blue Heron Bridge dives. Anybody else is welcome to use for their LBTS dive reports.

Went to LBTS for diving today. I prefer to get down there early, usually by 0730 in the morning, and even earlier in the warmer months. But early did not work today so I arrived down there at 0830. All spots on the eastside of Datura Avenue were already filled, so I went to the next best parking, Hibiscus Avenue, 1/8th of a mile south of Datura Avenue. Less parking spaces at Hibiscus, but it is far less busy. Entered the water at 0900, sea temp was 75f (I think my Suunto reads a little high on temp), visibility was in the 40ft range with a little cloudiness to it, no wind, no swell, no waves to speak of, current was to the south. I headed northeast until I hit the first reef, and then turned due north against the current on the first reef. Given that the last 10 or so times I have been down to LBTS there has been a swell that ruined visibility on the first reef I spent the majority of my time on the first reef today, with only a quick excursion out to the second reef. Did a REEF fish count of 44 species in 60 minutes. None of the species I observed were out of the ordinary for LBTS. Exited the water at close to 1200, went to my truck and changed to a 50cuft tank. Entered the water again at 1225, did another REEF fish count of 45 species in 85 minutes. On the way down I had been thinking that I had not seen a seahorse at LBTS for a long time. I promptly forgot that thought during the dives but I must have managed to set it in my subconscious. The last 20 minutes of the dive I found myself to the west of first reef where there are small tuffs of isolated algae growing, and just before I was about to pack it in, I found a Lined Seahorse. I think this is only 4th time I found a seahorse at LBTS in 25 years of diving there. Respectively, Cesar, White and French Grunts Together,
Sea Plume, Spanish Grunt, Seahorse, Seahorse, Red Grouper Video, and Seahorse Video.

01-21-23 Ceasar, White, and French Grunts.jpeg
01-21-23 Sea Plume With Balloonfish.jpeg
01-21-23 Spanish Grunt.jpeg

01-21-23 Lined Seahorse.jpeg
01-21-23 Lined Seahorse1.jpeg

I think a distinct continuous LTBS thread is a great idea to add more information for those divers that want an economical site for the day that is further south than WPB/JUP. Just one suggestion would be to add some what of a couple of maps to this thread at the beginning for new visitor references. One map being of the streets and location of your favorite parking spots (include favorite $$ garage options too). Second map being your favorite reef spots and dive path(s).

This makes it easy for out-of-towners to say " I can understand & do this dive " like they do when reading the tutorials for BHB. Then all the pictures you will continue to add,,, will just build on the teasers of why they should make a stop and dive LTBS on their way to/from the keys & south/northbound/etc. I've dove Datura Avenue twice several years ago and got lucky both times with great viz and calm seas. It's really good!

I also had no idea that seahorses were there,, Great shots as always!!!

In the past when posting about a dive at Lauderdale by the Sea, I have posted a "Trip Report" thread, with different dives. "Trip Report" isn't really appropriate in my case, it is only an hour long drive from my house. "Dive Report" seems like a more appropriate phrase. So, this year I would like to start a thread devoted to LBTS "dive reports" similar to the threads for Palm Beach Dives, Jupiter Dives, and Blue Heron Bridge dives. Anybody else is welcome to use for their LBTS dive reports.

Fantastic idea! I've not yet dived at LBTS, which is crazy because I lived in Boca Raton for a couple of years. My bad! Anyway, I do hope to dive there some day and would love a separate thread. I will eventually retire and LBTS is a simple 2 hr drive for me. I can see myself doing it somewhat regularly mid-week in the summer months when the conditions are more consistently diveable. A separate thread would prove very useful.

Just one suggestion would be to add some what of a couple of maps to this thread at the beginning for new visitor references. One map being of the streets and location of your favorite parking spots (include favorite $$ garage options too). Second map being your favorite reef spots and dive path(s).
great suggestions :thumb:
and maybe some good places to chow near LBTS >?

Wind conditions were excellent on Saturday, meaning there was no wind. So I took the opportunity to skip diving the bridge and went to LBTS instead. Parking close to the beach on Datura Ave was all gone by 0655. Not all those parking there were scuba divers, some are just beach goers catching the sunrise. Not a problem, I have the 30 gallon water tank with pump in the back of my truck so I don't need easy access to municipal water. I parked just on the other side of El Mar Drive (the road east of A1A), just means an extra 50 yards to walk. Suited up and entered the water at 0745. Visibility was a hazy 40ft, and cleared up to 50ft on the second reef. Sea temp was 77f, and I was still cold the whole dive in a 5mm and hood. Headed northeast, straight towards the pier. No Tarpon, one Nurse Shark, and I had to swim into shallow water to find the Moonfish and Lookdowns. Did a few short videos under the pier and headed for the second reef. Did a REEF fish count of 56 species. Current was to the north, so I had to expend a little more energy then usual to heading south on the second reef to head directly due west to the Datura Ave portal. Normally, I would not start out heading to the north with a north current but I wanted to get under the pier early. Speaking of the pier there were some workers up on the pier, so maybe they are going to try a repair? Observed a Regal Demoiselle at on the first reef. For those unfamiliar the Regal Demoiselle is another invasive species from the Indo-Pacific Region. Believed to have first shown up in the Tropical Western Atlantic in the Gulf of Mexico, from an oil drilling rigged towed from the Red Sea. It has spread out the Gulf and now to south east Florida as well as other areas in the Caribbean. Also observed 3 Lionfish, 2 on the second reef, and 1 on the first reef. I have seem only occasionally at LBTS, but now I see 3 on one dive. The 2 on the second reef were hanging out under ledge with lots of Glassy Sweepers. And you know they are just feasting on those Glassy Sweepers like pigs at feeding trough. I have been noticing more and more Lionfish at BHB lately as well. Respectively, Flamingo's Tongue, Glassy Sweepers, Goldentail Moray, My Favorite Coral Arch, Porcupinefish, Purplemouth Moray, Regal Demoiselle, Roughhead Blenny, Unknown Sponge or Tunicate, Trumpetfish Video, and Moonfish/Lookdown Video

02-25-23 Flamingos Tongue.jpeg
02-25-23 Glassy Sweepers.jpeg
02-25-23 Goldentail Moray.jpeg
02-25-23 My Favorite Coral Arch.jpeg
02-25-23 Porcupinefish.jpeg
02-25-23 Purplemouth Moray.jpeg
02-25-23 Regal Demoiselle .jpeg
02-25-23 Roughhead Blenny.jpeg
02-25-23 Sponge or Tunicate.jpeg

Been many years since I've dived LBTS. Last time I was very disappointed at how it deteriorated so much. However, recently I've heard reports, and with the pier closed, decent diving can be had. Thanks for starting this thread. I just might make it up there some day.

Went to LBTS for diving today. I prefer to get down there early, usually by 0730 in the morning, and even earlier in the warmer months. But early did not work today so I arrived down there at 0830. All spots on the eastside of Datura Avenue were already filled, so I went to the next best parking, Hibiscus Avenue, 1/8th of a mile south of Datura Avenue. Less parking spaces at Hibiscus, but it is far less busy. Entered the water at 0900, sea temp was 75f (I think my Suunto reads a little high on temp), visibility was in the 40ft range with a little cloudiness to it, no wind, no swell, no waves to speak of, current was to the south. I headed northeast until I hit the first reef, and then turned due north against the current on the first reef. Given that the last 10 or so times I have been down to LBTS there has been a swell that ruined visibility on the first reef I spent the majority of my time on the first reef today, with only a quick excursion out to the second reef. Did a REEF fish count of 44 species in 60 minutes. None of the species I observed were out of the ordinary for LBTS. Exited the water at close to 1200, went to my truck and changed to a 50cuft tank. Entered the water again at 1225, did another REEF fish count of 45 species in 85 minutes. On the way down I had been thinking that I had not seen a seahorse at LBTS for a long time. I promptly forgot that thought during the dives but I must have managed to set it in my subconscious. The last 20 minutes of the dive I found myself to the west of first reef where there are small tuffs of isolated algae growing, and just before I was about to pack it in, I found a Lined Seahorse. I think this is only 4th time I found a seahorse at LBTS in 25 years of diving there. Respectively, Cesar, White and French Grunts Together,
Sea Plume, Spanish Grunt, Seahorse, Seahorse, Red Grouper Video, and Seahorse Video.

View attachment 765562View attachment 765563View attachment 765564
View attachment 765565View attachment 765566

Great! Maybe they are returning.

great suggestions :thumb:
and maybe some good places to chow near LBTS >?
Im new to the area but I will add that Pomperdale on Commercial Blvd is a fantastic spot for grabbing a sandwich in LBTS , The Pastrami and Chopped liver is fantastic!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom