Lauderdale by the Sea Dive Reports 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to LBTS for diving today (ten days of diving in a row). Arrived at 0745. Closer spaces on Datura Avenue were filled so I parked on the other side of El Mar Drive. Entered the water at 0810. There was no wind so no wave action, however there is was a slight ground swell beginning to build. Sea temp was 83f, and visibility was a hazy 40ft. Current was to the north, so I meandered south down the first reef, for about an hour and then turned east to head towards the second reef. One I reached the second reef I encountered a school of Atlantic Bumper. Normally they are in the vicinity the pier, but sometimes they can be found over the reef. Generally they move away when approached to closely. But today they were so busy feeding in the water column they ignored my presence. Turned north to intercept the coral arch due east of Datura Avenue and turned west towards the beach. The ground swell had picked up significantly, and dropped the visibility to 20ft. Did a REEF fish survey of 65 species in 75 minutes. Uncommon to rare fish I observed were a White Margate and Banded Blenny. Found some new (to me) mollusks species to add to inaturalist. Respectively, Chocolate Chip Sea Cucumber, Wide Angle of Second Reef Coral Arch, Wide Angle of Second Reef Coral Arch, Well Camouflaged Banded Blenny, White Margate, Atlantic Bumper Video, Atlantic Bumper Video, First Reef Ledge Video, and Glassy Sweepers and Juvenile Grunts Video.

06-25-23 Chocolate Chip Sea Cucumber.jpg
06-25-23 LBTS Wide Angle.jpg
06-25-23 LBTS Wide Angle1.jpg
06-25-23 Well Camoflauged Banded Blenny.jpg
06-25-23 White Margate.jpg

We were there, too, at Datura. Earlier than you and snagged the first parking space closest to the beach. Instead of our usual route to the pier and then out to the second reef we headed south on the first reef. Saw a nurse shark pup, octopus, five lettuce sea slugs grouped together, several scorpionfish, the school of Atlantic Bumper, lots of glassy sweepers, peacock flounder and the usuals. Lots of surge. Fun long dive.

Went to LBTS for diving on Saturday morning. All the parking on Datura was taken. So I tried Hibiscus, three Sheriff's vehicles were lights flashing were busy doing whatever at 0740 in the morning. So then I drove down towards the restaurants and parked just south of the traffic circle on Commercial east of A1A. In 25 years of diving this site I have never parked there for scuba. It is a fairly convenient spot, with good access way closer to the pier. Given that fisherman can't use the pier seems as if the Broward Sheriff's that would occasionally chase away divers and snorkelers has capitulated to overwhelming popularity. At least is seemed to be the case on Saturday given the amount snorkelers and divers I observed under the pier. Did a total of 290 minutes on two tanks. No I did not wear doubles, after the first dive I returned to my truck and used a 50cuft tank for a second shorter diver. Visibility was about 40ft, with the persistent fresh rain water haze. Sea temp was 85f, no wetsuit, just a t shirt to keep the BC from chafing. Loads of action around the pier and on the reefs. Lots of nurse sharks, some tarpon, big schools of Atlantic Bumper, big schools of Big Eye Scad, big schools of Moonfish and Lookdowns, big schools of small Bar Jacks, big schools of juvenile Grunts, smaller schools of Crevalle Jacks, and Horse Eye Jacks. Observed a Web Burrfish, that is a first for that species at this site. Did REEF surveys on both dives, 68 species each. I also observed the smallest Lined Seahorse I have ever seen. For reference in the video of the seahorse, it is holding more on to fishing line. Respectively, Big Eye Scad, French Angelfish, Lined Seahorse, Spotted Cowry, Web Burrfish, Lined Seahorse Video, Nurse Shark Video, Green Sea Turtle Video, and Horse Eye Jack Video

07-08-23 Bigeye Scad.jpg
07-08-23 French Angel and Sea Fans.jpg
07-08-23 Lined Seahorse.jpg
07-08-23 Spotted Cowry.jpg
07-08-23 Web Burrfish.jpg

I know so many photogogs that search small stuff, yet I only ever see them find sea horses at the bridge. I assumed that seahorses just aren't common off the beach. I've only seen a handful over the years of beach diving. And this is the second one you've encountered in the past few months. I may come to the conclusion, they (the macro photogs) are not looking where the seahorses are..

Went to LBTS for diving today. Arrived at 0705, to find most of the parking at Datura Avenue available. When I left my truck at 0725 to go on the dive there was still most of the parking available. Seemed more like a weekday than a weekend. Entered the water at 0728 headed to the first reef and slowly drifted with the north current until I hit the pier. Sea temp was 85f, with about 30ft of visibility and slightly green water. Spent some time under the pier with Bigeye Scad, Moonfish, Lookdowns and Irish Pompano. Under the pier is usually good for a couple of Nurse Sharks, but I did not see any today. Headed east out to the second reef. Once there I slowly headed south against the current, eventually turning to the west to head back towards the beach. Did a REEF fish survey of 69 species in 60 minutes. Returned to my truck switched to a 50cuft tank, and did another 75 minutes of diving. Did another REEF survey of 63 species in 75 minutes. The most unusual observation of the day was a rarely observed Reef Scorpionfish. According to the REEF database is only observed at LBTS once in approximately 400 dives. Respectively, Bighead Searobin, Dusky Cardinalfish, Dusky Jawfish, Reef Scorpionfish, and Trumpetfish.

08-26-23 Bighead Searobin.jpg
08-26-23 Dusky Cardinalfish.jpg
08-26-23 Dusky Jawfish.jpg
08-26-23 Reef Scorpionfish.jpg
08-26-23 Trumpetfish.jpg

Went to LBTS for diving today. Arrived at 0715, and found a parking spot at Datura Avenue. Entered the water at 0800. The ocean looked flat, but it was deceiving because there was a long period ground swell. I am assuming this from hurricane Franklin. Sea temp was 83f, visibility was green/blue 30ft. Headed directly east until I intersected the small ledge on the first reef. Turned left and slowly drifted with the current along the ledge, taking pictures and counting fish as I did so. Reached the pier, zig zagged through each set of pilings with an average easterly direction. On eastern most set of pilings I found a pair of Tessellated Blennies. Stopped and got some images. This was a little difficult because the Tessellated Blennies prefer depths of less than six feet, and aforementioned ground swell. Left the pilings behind and headed east toward the second reef. Upon reaching the second reef I headed a bit south and then southwest to intercept the Datura Avenue entry. Wind picked up and there was some intense rain for a while but it was over by the time I reached the beach. However the wind remained, and with the ground swell made the water choppy. Went back to my truck, exchanged my HP 85cuft for an aluminum 50cuft, and entered the water again at 1115. Did an out and back to the second reef for about 70 more minutes. The Tessellated Blennies were the best find of the day. The Inshore Lizard fish with just its snout picking out of the sand was pretty neat as well. Respectively, Inshore Lizard, Reef Squid, Sharptail Eel, Tessellated Blenny, and Tessellated Blenny.

09-02-23 Inshore Lizard.jpg
09-02-23 Reef Squid.jpg
09-02-23 Sharptail Eel.jpg
09-02-23 Tesselated Blenny.jpg
09-02-23 Tesselated1 Blenny.jpg

nice find on the tessalated blennies.. sweet..

Went to Lauderdale By The Sea for diving on Saturday and Sunday. I got there later than I normally do so did not park at Datura Avenue, instead used parallel parking a little further north near the traffic circle. Both days had sea temps of 85f, strong south current, visibility was 30-40ft on Saturday, and 40-50ft on Sunday depending on close I was to the shore. On Saturday I spent the majority of time underneath the pier. There was a decent size school of Jack Crevalle, the ever present Moonfish and Lookdowns, Irish Pompano, and a bunch of Permits all mixed in. Each went into the abundant category of the REEF survey except the Permits The abundant category on a REEF survey is greater than 100 individuals of the same species. Broward Sheriff Boat showed up near the end of the dive, chased me and the other twenty or so people away from the pier, saying its was State Law that you need to stay back 300ft. The thing is I have spent quite a bit time researching this supposed state law, and have not been able to find it. If anybody knows what statute it is please let me know. I regularly dive under the pier at BHB, and have never once in twenty five years been told by law enforcement that I can't be there. My point it is, I call Bul***** on the signs and the enforcement of such. Anyway returned on Sunday, there was still a strong current. So I walked north 300 yards of the pier before entering the water so that I could drift back towards the pier. The Broward Sheriff did not show up to harass anybody on Sunday. But I spent most of time on the reef and only the last half hour of the dive under the pier. I did attempt to see if I could find more than 10 Tessellated Blennies, but the attempt failed at four individuals. I did however count more than 10 Oyster Blennies, and more than 10 Molly Millers. All three species live in dead barnacle shells, usually at depths of no greater than four feet, and in the tidal range.
Respectively, Jack Crevalle, Tessellated Blenny, Bigeye Scad, Jujube Top Shell, Tiny Sand Dollar, Swimming With Jack Crevalle Video, Swimming With Jack Crevalle Video, and Swimming With Moonfish, Lookdowns, Permits, and Jack Crevalle Video.

09-09-23 Jack Crevalle.jpg
09-09-23 Tesselated Blenny.jpg
09-10-23 Bigeye Scad.jpg
09-10-23 Jujube Top Shell.jpg
09-09-23 Tiny Sand Dollar.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom