layering a semi dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bmwdoctor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Alright I have searched all over this forum and others and have been unable to find a real answer. I currently have and really like the Waterproof Taurus Semi-dry, my problem is that under certain conditions (mostly reaching up or twisting certain ways) I get water leaking down the back of my neck. This hasn't been too much of a problem thus far since most of my diving has been 40-55 degree water. But I am planning on doing some ice diving this season and don't like the idea of 33 degree water down my back. So before evryone tells me I am crazy and I should just buy a dry suit THAT ISN"T HAPPENING (not this year anyway). So here is the real question I am considering wearing a hooded vest under my semi-dry. currently looking at Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene Lined 7mm Hooded Vest. But I don't know if the semi-dry neckseal will work against this vest. Does anybody do this or tried this????? I am hoping it will at least seal as well as it does now but will give me something over my back to stop the cold water shock. My other option will be to buy a better hood that will tuck into my zippered area of the neck (not the seal but above it)

I do also have a Pinnacle polar semi dry with attached hood (which I haven't worn yet), but this suit does not have a drysuit zipper like the waterproof taurus does and is a 7/5 not a full 7mm (taurus is) so I don't think it will keep me as warm, so I plan on using this in the summer months.

i have been using a hooded vest under my wetsuit for yrs and it kept te water at bay .
now i just got a semi dry aqualung solfx 8/7. mine has a attatched hood so i will be looking for a arttic vest but without the hood.

Alright I have searched all over this forum and others and have been unable to find a real answer. I currently have and really like the Waterproof Taurus Semi-dry, my problem is that under certain conditions (mostly reaching up or twisting certain ways) I get water leaking down the back of my neck. This hasn't been too much of a problem thus far since most of my diving has been 40-55 degree water. But I am planning on doing some ice diving this season and don't like the idea of 33 degree water down my back. So before evryone tells me I am crazy and I should just buy a dry suit THAT ISN"T HAPPENING (not this year anyway). So here is the real question I am considering wearing a hooded vest under my semi-dry. currently looking at Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene Lined 7mm Hooded Vest. But I don't know if the semi-dry neckseal will work against this vest. Does anybody do this or tried this????? I am hoping it will at least seal as well as it does now but will give me something over my back to stop the cold water shock. My other option will be to buy a better hood that will tuck into my zippered area of the neck (not the seal but above it)

I do also have a Pinnacle polar semi dry with attached hood (which I haven't worn yet), but this suit does not have a drysuit zipper like the waterproof taurus does and is a 7/5 not a full 7mm (taurus is) so I don't think it will keep me as warm, so I plan on using this in the summer months.

I'm about to try a similar setup with the same hooded vest in conjunction with a Mares Flexa 8.6.5 suit, which as a smooth skin sealed neck like the Waterproof. I would think with both having the smooth skin, it's going to make a really good seal. I don't think it would be any worse than wearing a hood without the smooth skin, and the vest is going to be additional insulation for both location and any water that does get into the suit.

A Hood should help keep the water out. However I would seriously look at a drysuit for 33 degree waters. If this is only going to be a once a year dive then you will have to bite the bullet. I have a SP Nova Scotia and have no issues with keeping the water out. Do you fold the neck seal in? Did you shorten the neck seal?

I ended up getting the hooded vest and wearing it over the semi-dry instead of under. (I do roll the neckseal in and it hasn't been trimmed) This worked out excellent I was actually wearing a t-shirt under my suit and after a 25 minute ice dive (water was a rereshing 36F) one sleeve was wet and a little water around my neck but not much the rest of the shirt was bone dry, my swim trunks never got a drop of water on em. I think having the vest w/hood it helped put a little more pressure on the neck seal and virtually stopped it from leaking on me.

I ended up getting the hooded vest and wearing it over the semi-dry instead of under. (I do roll the neck seal in and it hasn't been trimmed) This worked out excellent I was actually wearing a t-shirt under my suit and after a 25 minute ice dive (water was a refreshing 36F) one sleeve was wet and a little water around my neck but not much the rest of the shirt was bone dry, my swim trunks never got a drop of water on em. I think having the vest w/hood it helped put a little more pressure on the neck seal and virtually stopped it from leaking on me.

BMWdoctor - you are my hero! I plan on some BC diving this summer and want to get a Taurus semi-dry for that...but I've been intimidated by all the people saying 'get a drysuit'. Now I'm confidently back on track!

Question: Doesn't the Taurus come with a bibbed hood as an accessory? Would this not work? I've been thinking of a hooded vest to wear under the semi-dry...good idea? Bad?

Token - Yes they do offer a bibbed hood and I seriously considered going that route because it is designed to tuck into the zippered part of the neck area. But I was afraid that if I twisted around too much and it pulled out I would have cold water down the back of my neck. Keep in mind part of this issue may be because I am tall and skinny (5-11" and about 155lbs) so to get the height on the suit I have to go with a large, which may or may not be part of the problem. As far as the hooded vest under the suit, everything I could find on info seemed to point towards it being a bad idea, but then agian I couldn't find anybody that had actually done it with a semi dry only ppl with a normal wetsuit. That is why I decided to wear it over and it worked excellent.
One other thing I would recommend is a good pair of No-zip boots, I have a pair of Hendersons, they tuck right in with my ankle seals and this was the first cold water dive that my feet never got cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom