Layover time for EWR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I have the option of a cheaper flight with United to Bonaire with a connection through EWR. This is a new airport for me so wondering if 1 hour 15 is enough time for the layover? Thank you.😊

That "should" be enough time.
Personally I'll never fly United again but as long as you're not flying in winter 1 hr 15 minutes should be enough time to make your next flight. As long as your next leg isn't to somewhere small in a worst case scenario EWR has enough flights that it is reasonably likely to have another flight option if a flight delay made you miss your connection. If flying in winter I would plan at least a 2 hour layover though simply because of chances of weather delays with New York / Newark flights.

outbound is no issue generally. inbound is where things could get dicey with checked luggage. I had a 90 min layover inbound from europe and made it to the domestic connection gate as they were already boarding after rechecking luggage.

I would look closely at your flight options if your connecting flight is delayed. For me it’s less about the layover time than it is about additional, same day flights to your destination via yours or other airlines.

Being Bonaire, alternative options are very limited. But it looks like overnighting in Newark with a rewards night and catching the Bonaire flight the next morning is an option.

We’ve gone to overnighting at the hub on flights to the southern Caribbean. Part of that is our own situation being 3+ hours from the nearest airport…we’re going to overnight somewhere. We also prefer already being there to catch the Caribbean leg since there’s usually only one per day.

Being Bonaire, alternative options are very limited. But it looks like overnighting in Newark with a rewards night and catching the Bonaire flight the next morning is an option.
I do this layover frequently to Bonaire. Red Eye from Portland to Newark with a 1:20 layover and never had an issue.

Two years ago, I had a 3 hour layover at EWR coming back from Paris and continuing on to West Palm Beach.
We got in on time, and 4 1/2 days later, JetBlew got us back down to Floriduh.
During our extended tour of the greater New York/New Jersey metropolitan area layover, we got to see Elizabeth, NY, the Port Authority bus terminal in Times Square, Grand Central station, the 7 train out to East Elmhurst, East Elmhurst, and ultimately La Giardia (sic) all at no extra charge or compensation from JetBlew. Well, there was a $250 credit for the delayed connection.
JetBlew, the airline for when you have all the time in the world for an 1,100 mile flight.
The perfect airline for Newark airport, unless you’re lucky enough to be stuck on United.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom