LCBR or Southern Cross Club?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melittin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Help, I can't decide! Looking to relax and dive 2-3x/day. Price seems close enough to be a non-factor - advice?

I am not sure how much input you will get here, as I don't recall ever seeing anybody posting here about staying at SCC. We have lots of folks here that are regulars at LCBR, but not sure how many have been to SCC. Over the years, when I have looked, their prices have always seemed to be a few hundred dollars per week per diver more than comparable packages at LCBR. I have never really heard any bad reviews of SCC, but I really don't know what the vibe is like there. The impression I have gotten over time and how their website promotes them is that maybe it is slightly more oriented towards luxury, and maybe a bit more formal? But again, that is an outsider perspective from somebody who has never stayed there. Hopefully you will get some better input from folks who have been there. We have always been very happy with LCBR and love the combination of great and effortless diving with a very casual resort atmosphere.

I thought about staying at SCC for a change a few years ago. But at the time it sounded like there would be more limited choices in food that I thought wouldn't work as well for us, and it sounded fish-heavy which my husband simply doesn't eat. (I emailed them for more info and never got a reply.) I was also trying to get a little more info about the dive op and wasn't able to find out much there either. Unfortunately their web site is rather light on details about anything. So I gave up and went back to LCBR.

I have been to LC many, many times and always end up at LCBR for the following reasons:
Pirates Point only offers 2 dives a day, less food selection, most rustic of the 3,
SCC has always been more pricey when I have checked on group rates so in my mind they must be more upscale.
And, LCBR always wins for these reasons: the staff is VERY accommodating from the front desk to the chefs to the dive shop, DM's and captains. The food is wonderful and if you have a special request, you are accommodated, no questions asked. The food is served buffet style so you are not limited in quantity. I can request a certain room year after year and almost always get it. I do not touch any of my dive gear once it is on the boat. The dive staff takes care of it.
While some of this may be the same as SCC and PP, I just like LCBR better.
If you want to join a group trip, I have one going August 23-30, 2014. Message me for details.

I haven't stayed as SCC but have walked over there frequently from LCBR. Nice looking, spacious rooms with ocean views and a good dive op. The manager, Neil, used to be at LCBR and he is a class act.
They have large boats and based on seeing them out on the wall, are not overcrowded and do dives as long or longer than Reef Divers. I can't imagine that they could not accommodate dietary eccentricities.

The reason I have not stayed there is simply price based. They always seem to be significantly more than LCBR even when you factor in an ocean front room at LCBR.
Further, never had a bad experience at LCBR over 10+ years, so why switch.

I agree with Doctorfish, why switch when you have always had great experiences. We have been there during a hurricane, luckily it missed us that year, but everyone was super generous helping with all changes required.

I think both are good options apart from price differential. As an example. last May there was a weather front coming from the South so the boats could not get out of the sound. Both LCBR and SCC hauled everyone's gear over to a beach at Jackson's wall, set up, cleaned the sand off post dive and then hauled it all back. We were able to shore dive for 2 days when we otherwise would have been skunked. It was an incredible amount of work for the DMs but both resorts offered this same superior service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom