Lds dive trip vs. Booking your own

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not actually taken a dive trip with LDS’ in my area, but have done some comparison shopping when evaluating their offerings and generally find their pricing to be ”in the neighborhood” of what I could do on my own. Thus far, my “Dive Trips” have been family vacations, where I get in a couple of trips/tanks during the course of the week; but I plan on taking a Dive My Massk Off Trip within the next 5-6 months :D

If I can put together a group among the various buddies I’ve dove with locally and we can manage agree on 1) a location & 2) dates for a trip, I’m sure I’ll book it myself …. If not, I plan to pick a trip thru one of the LDS’ in my area; in that case, the premium I pay will be offset by the convenience of having a group of potential dive buddies

When you go with a shop, it may cost a bit more, but usually, they have already scouted out the area and worked out the kinks. They can better provide you with information as to what to anticipate; they are available for questions and real life experience answers on the spot. Many shops will also provide insight and ideas for the non-diving activities available and hey, it's fun to meet new people in a way that you don't have to put any effort into orchestrating. Going with a dive shop offers you the chance to sign up and then relax and let someone else do the work - that can help your vacation be more of a ...VACATION! As someone who has been a trip leader, let me also assure you that the work leading up to and then conducting the trip is very time-consuming, it is work, and yes, it is rewarding.

I don't think that is a safe assumption to make and if that is what one is expecting then one had better do some checking into the dive shop's experience with that location. If the dive shop has not been to that location or if they have not been there recently then their info may be no better than you could do yourself. Actually, most shops assign an instructor as a trip leader and let them handle researching the location and informing the participants (which is why it is time consuming and work, as you mentioned) so even if the shop has recent experience with a location the real question is does the assigned trip leader?

I don't do LDS trips because a local dive club offers pretty much all the advantaqes of a LDS trip without the profit margin tacked on.

Actually, most shops assign an instructor as a trip leader and let them handle researching the location and informing the participants

Heck, they probably just come to ScubaBoard, read all about the destination, maybe ask a few questions, and then report back! :crafty:

I hear ya on that, BDSC! Don't give too much credit too easily!

If your LDS has experience and contacts in a given area, it can be worth the added expense to go with them, at least the first time.

Although I can easily arrange most trips just by calling Maduro or some other agency, I cannot necessarily arrange for the best value resort, the nicest room, food and staff, the most enthusiastic local dive guides, or the most competent boat operators. Local knowledge can be worth little, or it can be worth everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom