LDS takes too big of a bite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm... you guys have to PAY for this gear? Why not just find it on the bottom of your favorite dive site like I do?

I'm the type that researches the purchase of all my dive equipment... only buy small stuff on a spontaneous basis. I look for the best price (within reason... manufacturer's warranty, etc., included), but am willing to pay my LDS a bit extra since I want to support them.

Also agree with Uncle Pug that masks are something that probably are best bought in person (until you've settled on a particular model as I have). I've purchased two on-line based on recommendations from others and they turned out to be shelf sitters.

drbill:
Hmmm... you guys have to PAY for this gear? Why not just find it on the bottom of your favorite dive site like I do?

I'm the type that researches the purchase of all my dive equipment... only buy small stuff on a spontaneous basis. I look for the best price (within reason... manufacturer's warranty, etc., included), but am willing to pay my LDS a bit extra since I want to support them.

Also agree with Uncle Pug that masks are something that probably are best bought in person (until you've settled on a particular model as I have). I've purchased two on-line based on recommendations from others and they turned out to be shelf sitters.

Unfortunately the diving where I live would be a bit of a challenge with my current experience level and the vis is such that I would have to put my hand on such items while doing a bottom crawl through the muck to find them. All of my diving has been by way of traveling many miles by air and is tough to fit in with the work and kids school schedules not to mention cash flow. Although if I sell most of my masks I could probably finance a quick jaunt to the tropics! Either that or I need to build more shelves for those shelf sitters.

PS I research everything to death as well Bill, then if that don't work I throw money at it , hence my empty pockets.

I started out with a scubamax panoramic single lens and it is still my primary. I only have a body glove because it came with some fins I bought for snorkeling before I took up scuba. I also have an oceanic trend only because it's my son's and I've got his gear until he gets to Monterrey and I can send it to him. Mine has the bonded lenses and unless I smile or take the reg out and yawn it does not leak. One thing that will cause a mask to leak is holding the reg too tight with the lips. The bite pieces are there for that. The lips should just seal around it but remain relaxed. Trying to hold the reg in with the lips will yield the same results as smiling. You may also need to relax in general. Think about it and try to be aware if you are tensing your face while on the dive. You may be without realizing it out of nervousness, excitement, anxiety or because the water is cold. Whatever the reason, RELAX!

I still love it when the owner of the LDS tells me that he only makes 20% on MSRP. I really hate to tell him this but 20% profit wouldn't keep the doors open. I also know from past retail experience that even the higher end items have at least a 40% profit.

es601:
Unfortunately the diving where I live would be a bit of a challenge with my current experience level and the vis is such that I would have to put my hand on such items while doing a bottom crawl through the muck to find them. All of my diving has been by way of traveling many miles by air and is tough to fit in with the work and kids school schedules not to mention cash flow. Although if I sell most of my masks I could probably finance a quick jaunt to the tropics! Either that or I need to build more shelves for those shelf sitters.

PS I research everything to death as well Bill, then if that don't work I throw money at it , hence my empty pockets.
I don't know where you have been diving but it is not as bad as you describe ..Even in western LI Sound the vis gets anywhere from inches to 15'..This past year was pretty good with decent vis almost every weekend and the lobsters are back. .Got my limit many times over the summer.. Want old bottles from 1800's-we got them..Try the south shore for ocean wreck dives,pm me if you need info on it..I teach out of city island and keep the boat in new rochelle..

I know a guy who went through 3-4 masks before he figured out it wasn't the mask, it was him.

He was smiling too much.

Once he realized that his mouth movements were breaking the seal of the mask in his nose area, and once he mastered a perfect poker face, he found that every one of his masks worked just fine.

Is there any chance that is happening to you?

Another common problem is exhaling out the nose. I have seen a number of people who just can't seem to stop exhaling through their noses, thus breaking the mask seal constantly. I recently met someone who had had surgery for a deviated septum, and he was physically incapable of preventing air from escaping from his nose.

Any possibilities there?

boulderjohn:
I know a guy who went through 3-4 masks before he figured out it wasn't the mask, it was him.

He was smiling too much.

Once he realized that his mouth movements were breaking the seal of the mask in his nose area, and once he mastered a perfect poker face, he found that every one of his masks worked just fine.

Is there any chance that is happening to you?

Another common problem is exhaling out the nose. I have seen a number of people who just can't seem to stop exhaling through their noses, thus breaking the mask seal constantly. I recently met someone who had had surgery for a deviated septum, and he was physically incapable of preventing air from escaping from his nose.

Any possibilities there?

As far as the smiling, I've been told about this and actually try conciously to keep facial expressions to a minimum.I even try masks on in a pool and squint to see how forgiving they are. I have found that masks that seal higher on my forehead fare better in this category because the area above the browline moves less.I dont think I breath out through my nose either,again maybe I read these things in dive training mag a while ago and tryed them all. The mask dosent puff out like when you clear a mask with a purge and I have to equalize my mask whenever I go deeper so I think if I was exhaling through my nose this wouldn't be needed.I do appreciate all the suggestions and you guys are great, sooner or later someone will hit it on the head.

Thanks, Ed

crpntr133:
I still love it when the owner of the LDS tells me that he only makes 20% on MSRP. I really hate to tell him this but 20% profit wouldn't keep the doors open. I also know from past retail experience that even the higher end items have at least a 40% profit.

Depends on what you are really talking about. Are we talking gross or net, because those are very different numbers!

es601:
OK I am all for free enterprise and agree that our lds's deserve a higher profit margin than internet shops.....but I got charged today $70.00 for a mask that I saw online for $36.95. I mean I would expect maybe 50% higher than internet and would not have griped but 100%????? Thankfully it was not my LDS, just one I strolled into. I would imagine that my shop would have given me my usual discount but this was one of those impulse purchases. What do you guy's think??:06:

One thought, RU breathing out through your nose when you are in diving situations? That can break the seal and allow water to enter.

I know that our LDS marks up personal items because they then give the students a 15-20% discount, and the end result is that they make a bit under MSRP. Sooo if you are NOT a student, or in the LDS good graces (they have provided me the *discount* on a few items I've got as I've done a bit of training with them) then you pay OVER MSRP.

I do NOT understand how a mask that does not leak in the pool suddenly starts to leak under diving conditions. Consider that the pressure on the mask in the pool is MUCH lower vs. most diving conditions, I would think the opposite would be true. In fact with myself it is true, I get more water in my mask in the pool then I ever do during a dive.

I tried about 10 masks during my OW training, and they all leaked a bit (I have a stach) so I just assumed that I could not get a good seal with my facial hair, which was reasonable. However I bought an XVision to replace my Mythos, and after five dives.. no leaking!!

As for not having places to dive in NY, I think you do, at least within reasonable driving distance. If I can manage to dive at LEAST every 2-3 months living where I do, you can certainly do better than I living in NY :D Dutch Springs for example is within driving distance, and you could even hook up with the ScubaBoard dive thingy. I'd LOVE to attend that!

Back
Top Bottom