LDS takes too big of a bite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Floridawannabe:
I know a mask that should fit your face and not leak, the new Oceanic HUD mask @ Scubatoys :D

Believe me if I thought it would work I'd buy it in a heartbeat! does it have special sealing qualities besides the computer display magic?:06:

RonFrank:
One thought, RU breathing out through your nose when you are in diving situations? That can break the seal and allow water to enter.

I know that our LDS marks up personal items because they then give the students a 15-20% discount, and the end result is that they make a bit under MSRP. Sooo if you are NOT a student, or in the LDS good graces (they have provided me the *discount* on a few items I've got as I've done a bit of training with them) then you pay OVER MSRP.

I do NOT understand how a mask that does not leak in the pool suddenly starts to leak under diving conditions. Consider that the pressure on the mask in the pool is MUCH lower vs. most diving conditions, I would think the opposite would be true. In fact with myself it is true, I get more water in my mask in the pool then I ever do during a dive.

I tried about 10 masks during my OW training, and they all leaked a bit (I have a stach) so I just assumed that I could not get a good seal with my facial hair, which was reasonable. However I bought an XVision to replace my Mythos, and after five dives.. no leaking!!

As for not having places to dive in NY, I think you do, at least within reasonable driving distance. If I can manage to dive at LEAST every 2-3 months living where I do, you can certainly do better than I living in NY :D Dutch Springs for example is within driving distance, and you could even hook up with the ScubaBoard dive thingy. I'd LOVE to attend that!

If I was breathing out through my nose would I still have mask squeeze at depth and have to equalize it? Because I do have to do that every so often.

As far as why diving and not in pool? I guess most of the time I only snorkel with it in the pool at the gym. Only had the use of lds pool a couple of times but definately are going to try a bunch of masks one day there. They offer all the time and I've spent thousands of dollars there but I still feel kinda funny diving in their pool. Also they def leak more on shallow dives. I had one of those big ugly dry snorkels and in a current it actually pulled on the mask strap to where I think it contributed to the leakage situation.Don't get me wrong here I'm not trying to be impossible. I love diving and just want to maximize the experience.

Dutch springs looks cool but I'm going to need more exposure protection. Unless I can combine my 3mm shorty and 5mm full.Rentals don't usually fit me and I don't know if I can get a hood that won't strangle me.:D

es601:
If I was breathing out through my nose would I still have mask squeeze at depth and have to equalize it? Because I do have to do that every so often.

You may not realize that you are breathing out of the nose. Yes you do have to equalize the mask sometimes if you are getting any type of squeeze.

es601:
Dutch springs looks cool but I'm going to need more exposure protection. Unless I can combine my 3mm shorty and 5mm full.Rentals don't usually fit me and I don't know if I can get a hood that won't strangle me.:D
[/QUOTE]

I guess this depends upon what type of diving you plan on doing. IMO where you live a 7mm would not be a bad idea, or better yet a drysuit. Hoods are kinda restrictive, I wear a beenie for water down to 60F as they are less restrictive and do a good job of keeping the head warm. You maybe able to combine the 3mm and 5mm depending upon if one is loose enough, but a 7mm suit does not have to be expensive. R your other wetsuits custom made? If not then you should be able to find a 7mm rental that fits.

Drysuits don't have to be hugely expensive. I got a great deal on a used Bare-NexGen, but even new that suit runs well under $1000. If you need custom sizing, then that can get a lot more expensive.

RonFrank:
You may not realize that you are breathing out of the nose. Yes you do have to equalize the mask sometimes if you are getting any type of squeeze.

I guess this depends upon what type of diving you plan on doing. IMO where you live a 7mm would not be a bad idea, or better yet a drysuit. Hoods are kinda restrictive, I wear a beenie for water down to 60F as they are less restrictive and do a good job of keeping the head warm. You maybe able to combine the 3mm and 5mm depending upon if one is loose enough, but a 7mm suit does not have to be expensive. R your other wetsuits custom made? If not then you should be able to find a 7mm rental that fits.

Drysuits don't have to be hugely expensive. I got a great deal on a used Bare-NexGen, but even new that suit runs well under $1000. If you need custom sizing, then that can get a lot more expensive.

Right but the point is that if I was breathing out of my nose the mask wouldn't have to be equalized because every time I breathe out it would equalize it.

The only off the shelf suits that fit is a hyperstretch (which is what I have). I want to look into the drysuit avenue though.

I've had many of the same problems you have had and from your pics, am built similiar to you facially. I ended up with the Oceanic Mini-Shadow. Might want to give it a try. I have a few in the bin of slightly used scuba gear as well but have been happy with the Oceanic as well. I still have to clear it but only once or twice, not 10 to 15 per dive.

Back
Top Bottom