LDS won't do annual maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keilidh

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought the following gear in June 2000 (last year):-

Scubapro MK20/G500
Scubapro Glide 2000 BCD (UK model number)
Scubapro Air 2 octopus

The LDS told me that I need to perform annual maintenance at the time. I performed around 20 dives with the gear last year.

When I took the gear to the same LDS, they tested the gear for leaks in the pool and there were no leaks. So I was told that the gear is ok and doesn't need any further work, and that I should wait until next year (June 2002) for another inspection, and then the gear might require an "overhaul".

What's an "overhaul"?
Is what they're saying true?
Is it dangerous to use the gear now?
Will performance degrade until this "overhaul" is completed?

I need your expert advice....thank you!!!

When you get a reg overhauled, all the little o-rings and seats are changed. Your reg is probably not worn out..but in order to keep the warranty valid, you have to get it overhauled once a year. The warranty covers all parts for the overhaul...but you still have to pay for labor.

If the shop is a Scubapro dealer, then Scubapro sends them a replacement overhaul kit...and no one loses. In fact, they gain from the labor costs. So, I don't understand why they won't do it. Maybe they lost the dealership?? Or maybe they weren't dealers to begin with? Was this a new employee that was trying to save you some money?

Did you get all the warranty info when you bought the gear? If so, take it to another Scubapro dealer and get it serviced. Or, email Scubapro and tell them the problem.

Although an overhaul is needed after so many dives, NOT using your gear can also dry out the o-rings. And long term storage can damage some seats.

Bottom line, if you want your warranty...get it serviced somewhere (as in overhaul).

The LDS is an exclusive Scubqapro agent, but I think they are avoiding doing this, since it invloves sending the reg to another city and returning it afterwards. Possibly to cut costs.

Thanks for the info, I guess we must be firm when it comes to safety and not allow a LDS to cut corners.

Regards

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't certain models of ScubaPro regs require servicing only once every 2 years? If that's the case, then your local shop is only following what the manufactor recommends, depending on your model. Consult your owners manual for details.

Hey all,

The modus operendi from ScubaPro (as well as others, like AquaLung) as I understand it (please notice huge caveat here), is that regs should be inspected (serviced) every year, but actually overhauled (serviced) every other year. Serviced annually does not mean rebuilt annually. Theoretically, you at least get an experienced set of eyes (hopefully) checking out your regs and determining if any thing is awry. I am not sure if this is the actual "Party Line" from the manufacturer, but its how I see it being handled in the feild.

That being said, I have had 6 sets of regs serviced, and have had THREE of them fail during the first or second dive, including one Micra. Not all were done at the same shop, and the shop I trusted most screwed up my Micra. I know of a few Dive Instructors and Dive Masters, who wiill not have their gear serviced annually because of results such as these. Who could blame them? Personally, I would rather learn to do this MYSELF, 'cause I actually care about my gear working %100 of the time. I have tried to order the tools, the manuals, and even parts from two of the shops, and have yet to get anything. Both of these shops are very competent, but they do not excel at handling the niddling little details. I would gladly pay for a class from Aqua Lung, as well as from other manufacturers like Scuba Pro, but can not seem to garner any information as to where or when. The "gear classes" that have been described to me, are more geared to the complete idiot than to the "budding gear-head" in our sport.

Now to continue my little rant here, as an Automotive Technician and/or Service Manager for 30 years I was CERTIFIED as a Master Automotive Technician, and also a CERTIFIED Truck Technician. As a Network consultant, I have other CERTIFICATIONS in A+, MCSE, and Novell to prove I know my crap from other people's shinola. I have asked at all three shops that I have tried out to see their technicians credentials, and they have had none to show me. "Oh, its not really done that way..." is how it usually starts, and it has ended with me finally figuring out that this guy learned it from that guy, who used to run a shop out in California, whose mother owned a bakery right down the street from Aqualung, or whoever. Now, I am not saying these guys aren't competent, but I am not overly enthused about their results or the current level of certifying the guys who touch my regs. In reality, Pros built the Titanic, Amatuers built the Ark... give me someone who cares about the craft to do the work.

Rant switch off... back to your regularly scheduled programs.

There is a company in Florida that has courses you can take to do maintenance and repair on scuba equipment. Diving Technologies, International is the name I think. Sorry I don't have a link(wouldn't know how to put it on here anyways)Also there is a book out that covers the most of the material similar to Chilton's Repair manual. I think some one had posted a link for the book on one the scuba message boards. Hope this is of some help.

Keilidah

Serviced means an overhaul once each year. All Scubapro dealers are also Scubapro service centers, so I can't see why the dealer would have to send the reg. to another city to have it serviced. Very strange indeed. I would contact Scubapro directly about your problem.

Thanks, Ken

I bought my first regulator, a Conshelf, in 1971... had its first overhaul in 1995 when the second stage exhaust valve finally gave up the ghost. Aqualung still makes the overhaul kit, a testament to going with them.
Rick

Netdoc,
The only reason you can't service your own reg is because the LDS is not allowed to sell you parts for liability reasons. If you can overhaul a carburator or a transmission, you can service a regulator. MOST repair seminars are "take-em-apart-put-em-back-together" sessions, and you don't get much theory or troubleshooting guidance. As simple as they are, regs do require that you understand how they work because the problems that do arise are often difficult to resolve. Experience counts in this area.
Neil

Hey all,

Well, actually, my parts will arrive this Monday or Tuesday, as they were finally ordered today via UPS. Liability was never a concern, and my LDS understands and appreciates my attitude towards keeping my gear in A-1 shape. They have sold me the primary and secondary O-Ring kits for the possibility that I just might need them when I am not around them. The only thing that is NOT avvailable to me is the manual. I understand that it does exist in PDF format, and would love to hear from ANYONE OUT THERE, that might have access to it or send me in the proper direction.

Not to over simplify the inner workings, but it is a simple feedback mechanism. Elegant in its workings, but dead simple once you get your mind around it. I will be looking to add the proper guages to my tool repertoire so that I can determine intermediate pressures and such.

Diving Technologies International is in my back yard so to speak. I have considered doing my IDC with him, and this may be a way to check out his operation a bit closer. I was also thinking of doing an advanced Nitrox course with him as well. Thanks for all of the responses!

Back
Top Bottom