LDS won't do annual maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Netdoc,

Try this link for a great manual:

http://www.airspeedpress.com/

It's called Scuba Regualator Maintenance and Repair.

It's by Vance Harlow and is VERY detailed. It also covers most regs made.

Good luck!

Hey Detroit Diver...

Thanks a bunch, I just ordered it and the Oxy hacker's handbook. Now I just need to get a ready supply of specialty tools for the job. They described an intermediate guage that has the 2nd stage adjuster built in... for only $80!!! THAT is a bargain! I have a single Snap-On wrench that cost me over that! I don't think I own many diagnostic tools that ever cost under $100. Some of them were over a couple grand... and in a few years they become obsolete.

I thought each manufacturer made their regs slightly different, so you had to get the right tools straight from them? Is this true?

Also, a Scubapro Agent is different than a dealer, I think. Dealers have to have a full service repair facility, but an agent is allowed to sell Scubapro gear with warranty, but has to send the gear back to the dealer for service.

luvdiving,
the scubapro shop in my city is a branch, which means that they have to send the reg to their headquarters in another city for overhauls. So no problem here. :)

TO ALL PARTICIPANTS:-
====================
Let's all vote on this one....

Given that an inspection (service) is required every year, and that the test turns out ok, still.....

Would you overhaul your reg:-
(a) annually? or
(b) every two years?

Choose (a) or (b)?

First, I don't know if the "inspection" validates the warranty. Plus, if all they did is a "leak test", that doesn't tell you anything. So, it didn't leak that day...but will the o-rings wear out next month? Will they last another 12 months??? Do you want to risk that?

I know you only have 20 dives on your reg...but o-rings and seats wear out from storage too. All you should have to pay for is labor. You are not responsible for shipping; that is covered by your diveshop.

To keep your warranty valid, you have to get it overhauled.

Hey all...

First, I have no problem with the "rebuild" being done every other year. Make my vote a "B". O-rings on nice polished metal surfaces can probably last five years or more. If they would all use Viton O-rings, I believe that contention would be ultra conservative.

O-rings are destroyed by grit, grunge, sand and shells ie neglect. If you keep your regulator clean, and soak/clear it after your dives (which is what you should be doing) you should have minimal problems with that.

However, "The Yearly Service" should not be just a mere inspection for leaks. They should doing a full performance check out including cracking pressure and going over all of the adjustments. Sometimes things fail gradually, and when you are breathing on it, you may not notice the breathing getting harder a smidge at a time. A competent, concientious technician will find that problem easily and can determine just how "deep" they should go into the reg. When you get your regs back, you just might notice that it breathes a lot easier, without ever having noticed the prior lack of performance before.

Back
Top Bottom