LDS won't viz my tank...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In addition to that the eddy current tech needs to know what they are doing. Inconsistent turning of the probe can cause false positives as well.

Every shop around here only does the eddy current test at hydro. I got steel tanks the oldest being 1963 and i never pay for vis inspections. In fact i always bypass my lds and go to a hydro shop and they do the hydro there for 24 bucks. Never had an issue with filling my tanks anywhere either with my generic VIP sticker. One shop refused to fill my tanks because of the age of the tanks and i havent been there since. Dove shops who "need business" should fill tanks. But to just be on the safe side i did recently make a compressor purchase so i fill all my own tanks now unless im out of town.

Luxfer claims that those are false positives.

"After the introduction of eddy-current technology, Luxfer received reports of cracking in 6061-alloy cylinders. We accepted returns on about 1,200 of these cylinders to conduct extensive tests. Not a single cylinder was found to be cracked.
On Luxfer 6061-alloy cylinders, eddy-current devices sometimes show harmless "indications" that lead to "false-positive" readings for SLC."

They can claim anything they want, but a failed test means the tank is done.

Whatever it is is, is either a flaw in the manufacturing process or the tank, since we do tons of tanks each year and only a couple come up bad on the eddy current test. The rest are fine. Whatever is wrong with the couple that fail might be interesting, and the manufacturer might try to claim otherwise, but they're still failures.

If Luxfer doesn't like the results, they should find out what the problem is and fix it on their end because the vast majority of tanks are just fine, so it's not a test problem, it's a tank problem. Wheter it's a "real" failure or something in the tank neck that only looks like a real failure doesn't really matter.

flots.

So I just bought a 40 cu/ft tank from LP. Mostly to just dick around off the back of a boat whilst fishing (or cleaning the boat..). Split the cost between me and a family member so cost wise was pretty cheap.

Just picked it up today from the UPS store and go to get it a visual and fill to be ready for the weekend. As I get the tank out the shop owner asks me where I got the tank from, then refuses to service it on the grounds that buying online kills LDS.. Never mind the fact I have signed up for the dive club, was talking to an employee about continuing courses there and had bought tidbits there.

Then he goes on to tell me he is charging less then online shops. I know he just lost my business completely (closest shop is an hour away. But am I being unreasonable here or should I try and talk to him about this decision and it's ramifications?

Go to this site and find the location nearest to you that hydros scuba tanks and they will also be able to fill your tanks. PHMSA - Cylinders - Authorized DOT Cylinder Retesters: Domestic Call first because not all of them do scuba tanks and with these places you do not need a VIP. The VIP is a scuba industry standard not a DOT standard.

They can claim anything they want, but a failed test means the tank is done. .

How do you figure that? What do you mean by "done"? Who is doing this test on 6061 tanks?

Buy yourself some VIP stickers from LP and do you viz yourself. Its crazy to pay your lds 10 bucks or more to shine a light in the tank take a look and screw your valve back in.

If that is all your LDS does on a VIP, they are ripping you off. All exterior stickers (other than manufacturer) should be removed and paint should be examined for bubbling and corrosion (especially ALs), and thread integrity should be checked. If you are merely getting a "light shined inside", take it elsewhere.

Are those new tanks?

Over the past 4 years or so, a couple of tanks have been bad brand new right from the factory. I believe the bad, brand new tanks had too many bad threads, not cracking, however the bad threads do show up on the eddy current test..

---------- Post added September 7th, 2013 at 01:17 PM ----------

How do you figure that? What do you mean by "done"? Who is doing this test on 6061 tanks?

"Done" as in failed and the shop won't sticker or fill it. Not sure if a failed neck gets condemned or not. I'm not the tank guy.

flots

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom