Lead Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Rick Murchison
The specific gravity of lead is 11.34 - which means that 11.34 pounds of lead displaces 1 pound of water, and if you had a waterproof scale it'd weigh 10.34 pounds when submerged, or about 91% or its weight in air.
Is that what you wanted?
Rick

No no.. I was wondering if the "10 pound" block I buy at the local dive shop was 10 pounds when submerged or 10 pounds when on land. Obviously the actual block will weigh less when in the water due to the buoyant force. I already knew this, and that prompted me to ask :wink:

I actually got to weigh one tonight, and the scale said 9.8, which is all I wanted to know.

Thanks! :D

Does it really matter? Once you get in the water, you're going to breathe (I hope). The difference between full lungs and empty lungs is about two litres. If my maths is correct, that's the equivalent of about 2kg (4lb) of lead... a bigger difference than the one you're talking about.

Zept

Originally posted by Zept
Does it really matter? Once you get in the water, you're going to breathe (I hope). The difference between full lungs and empty lungs is about two litres. If my maths is correct, that's the equivalent of about 2kg (4lb) of lead... a bigger difference than the one you're talking about.

Zept

No it doesn't really matter, I was just wondering.

Is that ok?

There was no mention of specific gravities of lead or any other elements in my class.......

I WANT A REFUND!!!

Originally posted by Windknot
If a woodchuck, could chuck WOOD?

A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could, if a woodchuck would chuck wood.....

The lower limit has been establish through direct observation at zero but the upper limit seems to fall within the range of 3.6~3.7 cords of seasoned alder per day (cut, split & stacked) if certain assumptions are made.

Of course the first assumption would be that a woodchuck could chuck wood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom