Lead weights and air travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBailey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone travel with their weights? Have you ever run into being "overweight" on your luggage? What kind of fees are involved for being overweight?

Most people don't carry lead with them, the overweight charges are STEEP!

Once when returning from a trip I ended up buying a second seat on an island hopper for my luggage because it was cheaper than the overweight charge and I wasn't carrying any lead. It's hard enough keeping scuba gear down to airline weight restrictions without adding dead weight that is usually provided by the dive operation.
Ber :lilbunny:

I wouldn't even bother with bringing your weights with you. Compared to the extra $$ you might have to pay if your over the limit, its easier to just rent them from a LDS.
I think (on Delta)your allowed 50 lbs on domestic flights and 75 lbs on international flights. (weight limits do vary though)

American charges are:
- up to 50 lbs.: no overage charge;
- 50-75 lbs.: $25
- 75-100 lbs.: $50
These are domestic and the charges are per checked-in bag. If you want to bring more bags than is allowed, the charges go up quite a bit.

Remember that weights are always included with the tank rental, so if you're planning on renting tanks you're not really saving anything.

If you wear your weight belt through customs, it sets off the metal detectors.

Most of the Airlines we fly allow one carry on and two checked, each checked bag should not exceed 70lbs. I cram as much into my carry on as possible. I also wear a photographers vest that weighs about 20lbs. ( no kidding). Then 1 Pelican case with photo/video gear and a dive bag with everything else. Both bags weigh 69 lbs. when I toss them onto the belt. Another comment-Intl. bagagge liabilty is still $9.07/lb. checked (9.07x69lbs=$625.00) So if China or Singapore Airlines looses my Pelican case they write me a check for $625 and pat me on the a@s and off I go. Problem is that 625 won't replace 1 HID video light!! Check into extra insurance. Start with your homeowners or renters, then take a look at the couple that are already addressed on this board and if that won't get you anywhere we've had some luck with purchasing additional baggage libility insurnace at the Airline counter.

I only dive with 14 lbs of weight in salt anyway so i do take mine. I need very few
clothes and usually over pack in that area. I just like my softweights...homemade.
Yep..Im weird!

ScubaRon:
Remember that weights are always included with the tank rental, so if you're planning on renting tanks you're not really saving anything.

This depends entirely on just where you are renting tanks. Most Northern Gulf of Mexico shops rent weight belts separately. Island shops often include them a tank rental, and some liveaboards provide them.

Back before 9-11-01 I often wore weight onto the plane, or carried them in my carry-on. The rules have changed somewhat now.

FT

Back in the early seventies, before metal detectors were common at airports, I used to fly a lot and to avoid paying excess weight charges which used to run at a hefty 1% of the 1st Class fare per kg, I always wore my belt. Once in my seat I would just loosen it and nobody ever noticed.
I remember the first time I went through a new fangled metal detector wearing 10kg of lead under my coat the attendent had a real shock, the needles (not LEDs) went off the dial.

The only wieght I carry is my 6 pound back plate.

Back
Top Bottom