Leaking inflation valve, tried everything

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I wont inflate the squeeze will be really hard from like 5m
If you have changed the actual valve it may be time to give the grommets glued to the suit a real close look. You may want to add 2 lb (1 k) and try again. Another thing you may have tried is turning the suit inside out and leak checking.

You are right, it is hard to figure out the faulty place, but 99% its this inlet valve.
Ive chanded the neck seal to try if it will help but the problem persist.

Should I put some grease on valve when put it on dry suit??
Do a very short dive... depending on the leak rate....
Is the a wet spot on your chest only?
If you don't touch the inflator on an other dive above 5 meter its perfectly dry?
It is possible the suit flexes when when you push the button, and allows a small leak....

Do the the steps in a methodical thought out way and you should be able to figure it out.

Do a very short dive... depending on the leak rate....
Is the a wet spot on your chest only?
If you don't touch the inflator on an other dive above 5 meter its perfectly dry?
It is possible the suit flexes when when you push the button, and allows a small leak....

Do the the steps in a methodical thought out way and you should be able to figure it out.
Thank you, very good idea, I will try on friday

Have you clamped off the neck and wrists and inflated the suit on land testing with soapy water? Is it a front zip suit?
I tried several times with no negative result - yes its front zip

Inflating can cause it not to leak,

On air conditioning systems its quite common one way it will hold vacuum, but not pressure, or vice versa...

You are creating a vacuum inside the suit when you dive,
harder to simulate on land.

Not exactly the same but you could try inflating with suit inside out, I think there's a guy on youtube
That puts a bottle and reg inside the inside out suit,
then use soapy water to find it.

I had a leak which I thought was the inflator. As soon as I went underwater in my shiny new (expensive) drysuit, I was wet around the inflator.

Ooops, found I'd not connected the drysuit hose. Must be that then.

Connected it and submerged again. Damn it. More leaking from that inflator. Grrrrr.

So got out and realised I was soaking. Got out of the suit and I was really wet, the undersuit sodden.

As I hung the drysuit up I noticed that the Si-Tech quick neck seal ring had popped out for about 1/4 of the neck seal! d'Oh. Check the neck seal!

Dried it at home and went back the next day. A dry drysuit. Yippee.

Moral of the ramble. It's not always the inflator. The water pools around your chest/waist/crotch.

Would suspect the zip. They commonly fail. It's amazing how small the holes are when you find them!

As @Gone for diving said; it's possible that pressurising the suit will not identify the hole, for example if it's in a seam that seals with internal pressure.

You could turn the suit inside out then seal the neck and wrist seals with whatever jug, bottle or ball you have on hand that creates a good seal. You don't need a tank and reg inside the suit. Just put as much air in a wrist before you seal it and kneel on the suit or roll up the legs to create enough pressure to find the leak with soapy water.

Tilt and rock the inflator valve around to see if it leaks. It sounds like the valve might not be sealed well to the suit and only leaks when pushed into certain positions.

Back
Top Bottom