Learning to spearfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49:
If you just started diving you may want to try free dive spearing just to get the "feel" of it. Carrying a gun on scuba, hunting, shooting, getting a fish off the spear etc etc is a lot to do for a new diver just getting buoancy wired and not experienced at gas management etc etc.

OK, prepared to admit that there could be some different cultural issues going on here..... but why spearfish on SCUBA at all? It's not really sporting, is it? Certainly the norm here in NZ is to only spearfish whilst freediving. Turning up anywhere with a speargun and SCUBA is opening yourself up to ridicule......

You ought to come here to Korea and get one of the locals to teach you to shoot. With 48" guns they shoot such small fish that most of the rest of the world would find them too small for bait, but they are dead shots...

Oh, And there are no big ones to shoot, they are gone lo these many generations, no take quotas or green influence here.

AndyNZ:
OK, prepared to admit that there could be some different cultural issues going on here..... but why spearfish on SCUBA at all? It's not really sporting, is it? Certainly the norm here in NZ is to only spearfish whilst freediving. Turning up anywhere with a speargun and SCUBA is opening yourself up to ridicule......

uhhhhhh......well, all I can say is maybe you should check out spearboard. If you have no idea about how sporting scuba and spearing can be, that site should enlighten you. I myself can only free dive due to laws in Belize but I've been on scuba hunts and shot dogtooth tuna....it was ...."sporting" to say the least.

Hank49:
uhhhhhh......well, all I can say is maybe you should check out spearboard. If you have no idea about how sporting scuba and spearing can be, that site should enlighten you. I myself can only free dive due to laws in Belize but I've been on scuba hunts and shot dogtooth tuna....it was ...."sporting" to say the least.

Sure, but likewise you should check out what people are capable of spearfishing whilst freediving.

Here's an article from our local paper a few years ago about NZ spearfishing:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=3561032

Now I've never speared a 156kg marlin... but regularly come home with large kingfish, around the 20kg size, taken breathold at depths of up to 20m. You don't need SCUBA to take home what you want to eat.

AndyNZ:

Take this argument elsewhere. It does nothing positive for the sport and is extremely tired. Freedivers are the first to proclaim that it is more effective to spearfish on a breathold due to stealth and in the same breath say how scuba is not sporting. What gives. Use your voice to further the sport for everyone. Division in the spearfishing community is exactly what those who wish to limit it want. Divide and conquer.

deadend:
Take this argument elsewhere. It does nothing positive for the sport and is extremely tired.

Sorry, but you've completely misunderstood the intention of my post. Maybe you want to blinker yourself to your particular view of the world, but I would rather at least explore other points of view. Ah well.

Sorry, Andy, but I got the same message. There's room enough for freedive and scuba spearfishermen, and they both have advantages and disadvantages. We don't need this argument again.

AndyNZ:
Sorry, but you've completely misunderstood the intention of my post. Maybe you want to blinker yourself to your particular view of the world, but I would rather at least explore other points of view. Ah well.

il have it either way but i have to admit i can hardly hold my breath more than 45 secs uw. i would love to try both. unfortunately there are laws here thats spearing while on scuba is frowned upon. oh well i hope i get the oppurtunity to do either one of these days.

Sporting or not, spearfishing while on SCUBA is fun, and it brings you home alot of food. Thats good enough for me.

Besides, just because your on SCUBA, doesn't mean every fish you shoot will be stoned.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Besides, just because your on SCUBA, doesn't mean every fish you shoot will be stoned.

Speak for yourself bugman.... :D You may need more carrot juice to sharpen the eye...haha.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom