Learning to spearfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got my gun last winter :) I'm still getting the hang of it :D Did you stone em all from the beginning?

My stone shot percentage is still on the low side. I try to stone them but often some subduing is required.

Anyone who doesn't think that's sporting simply hasn't tried it yet :D

Andy, yes, there are cultural issues at play here. In many parts of the world spearing on scuba is and has long been illegal. People from those places are incredulous that we not only can do so but like to.

From our point of view, we have the freedom to make the choice. We can do both, we can hunt while free diving when it suits us or we can hunt on scuba when we wish. Some do only one, some do both.

If you ever come to the states, you may consider meeting up with some spearos here & go burn a few tanks with them. First hand experience can go a long ways to influencing opinions.

SuPrBuGmAn:
I just got my gun last winter :) I'm still getting the hang of it :D Did you stone em all from the beginning?

Nah, I'm just kidding. I didn't stone em from the beginning and I still don't. I stone about 1 of 5. But hey, I'm at a disadvantage. I shoot a lot while on the surface and the waves are bouncing me around...and the sun gets in my eyes.... :rolleyes:

I have made several dive with a buddy spearfishing over this last few weeks but this Friday me and my dad are going to do the shooting ourselvies for the first time. Hopefully I will be able to have a good report next week with my first kill.

Don't forget the pix!

Hank49:
Nah, I'm just kidding. I didn't stone em from the beginning and I still don't. I stone about 1 of 5. But hey, I'm at a disadvantage. I shoot a lot while on the surface and the waves are bouncing me around...and the sun gets in my eyes.... :rolleyes:

LOL! :D

I blame those pesky jellies!

AndyNZ:
Sorry, but you've completely misunderstood the intention of my post. Maybe you want to blinker yourself to your particular view of the world, but I would rather at least explore other points of view. Ah well.

Sorry, but I understand EXACTLY what your intention is and have understood EXACTLY what the intention was of every other elitist freediver who has posted the same swill. I know all the points of view of spearfishing and am open to them unlike yourself. You freedive, great. More power to you. It is a proposition that takes much skill and practice and I'd like to be better at it but lacking time and places to practice I will probably stay at the same level for the time being. You have obviously not speared on scuba so you are baseless in your argument.

I enjoy both, there is a time and place for each. It really depends on the place your doing the spearing, depth, water clarity and of coarse the shape and talent of the shooter! There's not one guy in 10,000 that's gonna shoot large grouper in 150+ft. freediving and many of the guys on scuba don't fair much better.

I have speared (freshwater) for many years, we can do roughfish and panfish. I use a Mares snubnose and recently added a laser for longer shots, most of my shots are within 2-5 ft and I rarely ever miss now. I only shoot what I will be cooking for supper, and it's certainly a challange at times to get a good shot. I have shot larger fish when I was on a private lake and had permission and had excellent success with that too. I don't know about spearing in the ocean, never dove in it, so can't tell ya much. I prefer pnumatic over sling, and the laser... welp... 1st time I used it, I'll never go back... nuff said on that one.

there's my input

I prefer a simmons 10x40 scope on my polespear. I tried the red dot on the hawaiian sling, but it was just too hard to get the stock up to my shoulder and see the dot.
Now I just fish with torpedoes and depth charges. BTW, has anyone seen any large squid lately? A few have escaped my grasp. I heard rumors that they were found on a beach somewhere. That's MY CALAMARI!!!! I'd like my catch back. ;P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom