learning to use doubles.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just recently finished the TDI Intro to Tech class, which is basically what the name says and some dives learning the basics of doubles. I beleive it was about $200. We did a pool session to get the B/P, tanks, and basic tech config setup then four open water dives over two separate weekends. We also practiced lift bags, safety drills and valve drills in prep for Adv Nitrox/Deco.

I though it was well worth it and each dive was a positive learning experience.

This is a fairly new class for TDI, before it was just part of Adv. Nitrox/Deco - and from what I've heard that was a bit overwhelming learning to dive doubles, B/P and Deco. So splitting out the doubles, b/p and learning new skills like launching & hanging from a lift bag, etc. was nice to do before getting into deco training.

This weekend I'm taking a Dry Suit class and getting in some Dry Suit diving before I do Adv. Nitrox/Deco this spring. Again, want to get more comfortable with the tech equipment before the task/skills loading of deco training.

Just my 2 cents.

The Advanced Nitrox courses I've been aware of don't require doubles, it allows you to use a cylinder with an "H" valve and also a pony rig (40cf)

Curious to know which one it is.

It would be interesting to see what is covered in this doubles class. What you describe has me confused.

I took an Intro to Doubles class that was very basic--an evening in the classroom and an evening in the pool. As it turns out , I did not have to pay anything for it, but I am sure the cost to others would have been very minimal. The idea is to make it like Discover Scuba--an attractive lead in to the "real" classes.

When I took TDI's Intro to Tech, I had to do the valve drill very proficiently, with virtually no bodily traveling, but it was not timed.

I am currently finishing TDI's Decompression Procedures class, and I don't have to do a timed valve drill in that, either.

My tech instructor recently had to do a valve drill that was timed himself, but that was in a class to get a higher level instructor certification (not sure which).

If that $300 class takes you past TDI's Intro to Tech in what it covers, then it is a very good price. If it just shows you what it is like to wear doubles, then it is a rip off.

Thanks all, The $300 is a drop in the bucket towards the full class is admitted however it may also be a wasted $300. I am bone headed and if it is reasonable to learn something on your own in a pool or shallow lake IÃÎ all for it.

I looked up prices and the manifolds seem to be about 300, tanks another 300, bands and fittings 100 and the bladder upgrade for my BP well lets just guess 400 more, that said i plan to ask more questions and sit turtled on the bottom of my swimming pool if need be and take the stuff off and put it back on under water till I am comfortable with everything about them. flips rolls and valve manipulations were assumed in the original question. I look at it like a free manifold. since I will eventually buy it any way. :) as long as I am not likely to cause permanent damage to myself, other than being in my pool or lake at 10-20 ft for 2.5 hours at once. :rofl3:

Thanks all, The $300 is a drop in the bucket towards the full class is admitted however it may also be a wasted $300. I am bone headed and if it is reasonable to learn something on your own in a pool or shallow lake IÃÎ all for it.

The question then is what will be covered in your $300 doubles class. Is it 2 hours in a pool? Or is it like an Intro-to-Tech course?

The first time I dove doubles, it was without a class. I just borrowed a small set and went diving (with a buddy of course). Not a big deal, but was I balanced, in trim, or could perform all my skills at the same level of proficiency as in my singles rig? No.

This is where a class was helpful. I was able to condense at least 10 dives of trial and error by taking the course. Obviously, depending on how your diving is now and how your instructor is, your mileage will differ.

If a $300 class resulted in trimmed tanks and proficiency in my kicks (especially backwards), then it'd be worth it to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom