Learning Underwater Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, people were always trying to tip me off on f-stops and shutter speeds in various situations. I could never remember at depth. I get a little narc'd all the time, probably start out that way. So, because the task loading is a problem, I write little notes on stickers and put it inside the housing, facing out. Even shots I want, because sometimes I have to plan a little... I need a little sticker that says....AIR??

...sorry Kristen

I am actually taking the PADI u/w photo course in March, I love topside photography and really want to learn how to do this underwater. I got basically a point and shoot camera, and have tried it out once, but was not comfortable with its use.

I will give a report as to my experience with the course once it is over.

verona:
There is a new PADI UW spec out on digital photography - this has been specifically written for digital point and shoots. It has 2 levels, the first extremely basic and the second a bit more advanced. h I have seen the instructor manual but not the course materials yet. This spec is in addition to the exising UW photo spec which was written pre digital era. I imagine the new spec will be more popular as it can be taken by snorkellers and OW students on their last dive once skills have been completed. The spec is so new, though, I don't know anyone who is certified to teach it!

Iam signed up to take instructor class at http://www.rainbowreef.us/ on March 11 with Tom
The student is Manual is very nicely done. from what I understand DVD is waiting to see demand of classes But I highly recommend the book and white slate

just my 2 bubbles worth

i have learned a lot from the simi pro photographer that owns my lds, but i would love to find a good class/instructor to meet my expirience level, i just did a five day photo boat in the channel islands and learned a bit but i know i could still learn a hole lot more !! but how and were to find such a thing??

I no longer teach Diving courses. If PADI would let me JUST teach the photo course with out having to go through another I.E. I would do it.

PADI let's anyone that is an AI or better and has taken the course from a course director, teach their UW digital photo course. That means that there are going to be many people teaching the course that are not really that knowlegable. Of course many will be. This is the typical "merit badge" approach. I will probably take the course from a Course Director that is now learning from me, just so I can offer the merit badge that people want.

The idea that Chris Bangs (look at his gallery) is not "qualified" to teach the PADI course says it all.

IMHO, before taking any course from anyone, look at what kind of images they produce. I could point you to many dive shop web sites that offer the PADI course and have a bunch of poorly exposed pictures in their gallery. If they can't do better, how will they be able to teach?

The idea that Chris Bangs (look at his gallery) is not "qualified" to teach the PADI course says it all.

Thanks, I do in fact teach photography! I also offer to team teach with other instructors who teach the PADI course but are actually beginners themselves. but after 2 years of offering this no one has taken me up on it.

Alright I buy in, Does anyone know a really good Underwater Photography instrutor teching in Northern NJ (Wayne area)?
Thanks
Marty

alcina:
Cat...where's that "blush" smiley when you need it? LOL Thanks, I try to help where I can! I appreciate your kudos a lot!

RU two going to kiss now :Kissy:

Sounds like you need to post your magic cheat sheet Alcina. I'm not sure what exactly is on it, but it sure seems to make Cat so happy she may just explode :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom