Learning Underwater Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've seen several threads from people asking for help in learning how to take pictures underwater and the general response has been to provide reference to several books.

I've been wondering why no one seems to respond, take the PADI Underwater Photography Speciality and collect another card.

While I can imagine several reasons for NOT giving that as a response, I want to tell my experience with that specialty class last summer.

First, I read the text and watched the video and believed that both were pretty useless! The only "decent" information I got out of that was the spectrum absorbtion rates -- which just reinforced what I sort of already knew.

While I don't know if all (many?) of the PADI instructors do this, mine did -- which was to put a "reef" in the bottom of the pool, complete with various "fish" in the "coral". Reef

For some of the time, while I was taking pictures, my instructor was using a measuring stick to determine the actual distance from the camera to the "reef" and after each shot he'd surface and write down the distance. I was able to match up the pictures with the actual distance information.

Of course, with the "reef" in a controlled setting, I was also able to take pictures using the strobe, w/o the strobe, with the internal flash, etc. and then see the differences.

We also did some experiments to determine the effective distance of the strobe and determine how quickly the colors were absorbed.
1.5 feet (red) - 4 feet (no red)

Whole Picture Series

When we did the open water dive, my instructor also handed off his dSLR with twin strobes for me to "play with." After handling it on a wall dive it absolutely convinced me NOT to even think about getting a housing for my dSLR -- Point 'n Shoot is the way for me! (BTW, he is not a pro -- just a talented teacher and someone who loves to take pictures and teach SCUBA.)

I like to think I was a pretty good photographer but the practical sessions of this PADI were quite helpful. I'd also like to think they helped me in taking the following two images:

Urchins
4 Spots

I'm interested in your thoughts -- was my class (BTW, I was the only student!) unusual and I lucked out or ????

Good point! When the UW Photo Course is taught by an instructor with good teaching skills and even some basic photo skills it can be a tremendous help! Your instructor sounds like he tailored a good course for you :wink:

I don't think you lucked out at all. Every instructor teaches this differently and most that I know teach it one on one or in very small groups with lots of individual attention. The trick is to find an instructor who will be able to work with your existing skills and knowledge and build on them.

I guess I usually point people to books and web resources and their own practice as I assume divers know the course exists already and that many of the "askers" are currently land bound so dry materials are something they can do ASAP.

I'll do better.

I took the NAUI/Nikon specialty course several years ago. It was helpful in terms of getting the basics down but that was about it. The best "training" ( if you want to call it that) was on a liveaboard with a UW Photo pro where you spent the entire day shooting, turned in your film for processing and then had a "read out" or critique by a pro.

Of course that was in the days of film. With everyone going digital these days (including me) the process is a bit different. You get "instant feedback" both underwater and on the surface so there is less guess work in terms of your settings. That said ...I think the ideal UW Photo course today would focus on what makes a "good image" and then let you translate that into the language of your particular camera/housing. The bottom line is that you always shoot a lot of pics of the same thing and then pick the winners afterwards. Nice think about the digital world is that you just "delete" the losers - no film wasted.

'Slogger

Alcina, now, I have to say, you have been wonderful. you are always there with good easy to understand answers. thanks! I have your little f stop, shutter speed cheat sheet facing out in my housing.

Aloha,
catherine

Footslogger:
II think the ideal UW Photo course today would focus on what makes a "good image" and then let you translate that into the language of your particular camera/housing.
'Slogger

For those thinking of doing a course this is exactly what your instructor wants to know. What do YOU want to get out of it? She/he might not do things the way you would expect but the more information you can give, the better the course will "fit"!

Cat...where's that "blush" smiley when you need it? LOL Thanks, I try to help where I can! I appreciate your kudos a lot!

Peter Guy:
I've seen several threads from people asking for help in learning how to take pictures underwater and the general response has been to provide reference to several books.

I've been wondering why no one seems to respond, take the PADI Underwater Photography Speciality and collect another card.

While I can imagine several reasons for NOT giving that as a response, I want to tell my experience with that specialty class last summer.

First, I read the text and watched the video and believed that both were pretty useless! The only "decent" information I got out of that was the spectrum absorbtion rates -- which just reinforced what I sort of already knew.

While I don't know if all (many?) of the PADI instructors do this, mine did -- which was to put a "reef" in the bottom of the pool, complete with various "fish" in the "coral". Reef

Peter, a class of this nature is highly dependent on the instructor teaching the course. The course materials - text and video - cover basics which, if you are a reasonably experienced photographer, will not be terribly new. There is a lot of flexibility for the instructor to structure the course compared to other PADI specialties. When I run a course, I need to cover the requisite material provided in the PADI outlines which encompasses the text and video, but at the same time, I tailor the course to the students based on factors such as:

- existing student photographic knowledge and experience (this can vary greatly from student to student)
- digital vs. film (it is not uncommon to have students shooting only digital, but there are still some film shooters out there)
- specifics interests (warm water vs. cold water, wrecks, macro, seascapes, etc)

So depending on these factors, the discussion can be geared towards providing relevant information and topics for discussion that will make the most of the classroom time. The pool session I use to evaluate buoyancy skills of the students while handling the gear, and I also set up various exercises and tasks for the students to do. Then we go through some analysis/critiques in the following classroom session. There is so much that can be discussed, but the discussions are driven by what the goals and interests of the class are.

Warren_L:
Peter, a class of this nature is highly dependent on the instructor teaching the course.

I fully agree, I know of a couple of good instructors here on Guam and I do refer students to them, But I also know of several who teach the class who have little experience in UW photography beyond point and shoot.

Therefore, since I am not familiar with who is available to teach a class in other locations I refrain from recommending it.

There is a new PADI UW spec out on digital photography - this has been specifically written for digital point and shoots. It has 2 levels, the first extremely basic and the second a bit more advanced. h I have seen the instructor manual but not the course materials yet. This spec is in addition to the exising UW photo spec which was written pre digital era. I imagine the new spec will be more popular as it can be taken by snorkellers and OW students on their last dive once skills have been completed. The spec is so new, though, I don't know anyone who is certified to teach it!

catherine96821:
Alcina, now, I have to say, you have been wonderful. you are always there with good easy to understand answers. thanks! I have your little f stop, shutter speed cheat sheet facing out in my housing.

Aloha,
catherine

I want a copy of the cheat sheet! Where do I find the info?

catherine96821:

Aloha,
catherine

oh please ms alcina, can i also have one of those cheat sheets? :D

@peter guy: i think you had a great class. me i just got the camera and didn't bother to get a cert for it. learning as i go from SB and buddies i dive with who's into UW photography.

Back
Top Bottom