LED 500 v's LED 700

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too am very interested in this light... I would like to hear from folks who have dove it. I am kind of interested to hear how it would compare to the Salvo 12w LED light. I am interested in how the 3 bulb configuration compares to a single bulb.

Ag, can you answer why you guys decided on 3 bulbs vs. a single bulb?

Thanks
Phil

I was at the Millpond in Marianna Fla. last week. I sent my sunspot mr11 10w hid back and had it refitted. I never cared for that bulb because mine always had a hole in the middle. My old AUL 10w hid MR11 (6 degree) is much better than the sunspot. In Twin Cave I had a chance to compare the LED 700 upgrade to several back ups and the focusable DR 10w HID. The LED 700 blows the old sunspot away. Compared to the focusable DR it was more than bright enough to run with it. The focusable DR had a better beam as far as "punch" and light in the center of the beam. My opinion, I really like this light. If I need more I will have to get a bigger light, but it is a much better light than the sunspot and I am comparing apples to apples. The upgrade is very affordable and if you have the sunspot I would do it. If you have a regular W/A MR11 bulb, you may want to compare the two first. LED technology, being what it is, means less replacement of bulbs, or ballasts, so the LED makes sense. If you "need" the extra punch, than you may want to wait. I have both so I have a choice, but I am thinking the LED will be with me most. Mark

I was at the Millpond in Marianna Fla. last week. I sent my sunspot mr11 10w hid back and had it refitted. I never cared for that bulb because mine always had a hole in the middle. My old AUL 10w hid MR11 (6 degree) is much better than the sunspot. In Twin Cave I had a chance to compare the LED 700 upgrade to several back ups and the focusable DR 10w HID. The LED 700 blows the old sunspot away. Compared to the focusable DR it was more than bright enough to run with it. The focusable DR had a better beam as far as "punch" and light in the center of the beam. My opinion, I really like this light. If I need more I will have to get a bigger light, but it is a much better light than the sunspot and I am comparing apples to apples. The upgrade is very affordable and if you have the sunspot I would do it. If you have a regular W/A MR11 bulb, you may want to compare the two first. LED technology, being what it is, means less replacement of bulbs, or ballasts, so the LED makes sense. If you "need" the extra punch, than you may want to wait. I have both so I have a choice, but I am thinking the LED will be with me most. Mark

Thanks, I appreciate the time you took to write that... Very informative. I really think that I am going to be buying the LED 700, there are still just a couple of things I like better about the salvo but I am hearing others say good things about this light as well...

Thanks again.

Phil

Ag, can you answer why you guys decided on 3 bulbs vs. a single bulb?
Thanks
Phil

Hi Phil,

We use a single focus lens and cluster the 3 bulbs to produce the required light output as this assists heat dissipation. Given the current LED technology available this is the best way of getting the power generation to get the 700 lumen light output.

DiveRiteExpress has done a beam comparison of the lights.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Best,
Ag

For what it's worth... I had the upgrade to the 700 and love it, it is a great light. And the fact that it is so tough is awesome, I'm not exactly known for being gentle with my gear.

Although I don't get in a cave without the 500 as a primary backup... any light issues are a non event with that puppy in the pocket.

Hi Hudson,

LED 700 uses the same charger (LT6026) and NiMH Battery Pack (LT6324) as our previous line of lights.

For more information you can check out one of our previous manuals.

Best,
Ag

DiveRiteExpress has done a beam comparison of the lights.

"All these lights are so bright they max the center of each beam in the photo to pure white... thus it's not possible to get a feel for relative intensity."

:shakehead: Any chance you can get someone to school those DRE guys a bit on the basics of photographic exposure? The pictures and description suggest that they have no working knowledge of cameras. The results posted are at best confusing and at worst downright deceiving.

"All these lights are so bright they max the center of each beam in the photo to pure white... thus it's not possible to get a feel for relative intensity."

:shakehead: Any chance you can get someone to school those DRE guys a bit on the basics of photographic exposure? The pictures and description suggest that they have no working knowledge of cameras. The results posted are at best confusing and at worst downright deceiving.

I agree 100%

Ag,
I have a question about what can be upgraded. I am not sure about the 'hard black' metal. I suppose this refers to Hard Black Anodize ??

My light head is black and metal. The configuration is it has a gray cord and the older MR16 body style bulb (having a 'built in' reflector). Obviously it is fixed focus and has a Slim Line (which I don't think matters.)

I'd upgrade mine if it is possible. Do you need to return the whole unit or just the light head/lid? Or is this covered when you get an RMA?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom