LED lights, are they still more vulnerable to failure while turning them on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Led's have two weak point :

1.to high current ( depends physical and material properties of of LED ( dynamic resistance / forward voltage )

2. weak thermal transfer (if led is cooled properly and driven OK , then much higher current can be tolerated )

Switch must be proper designed (mechanic or electric and both would work fine ) ,

More safe are these without physical contact (less sealing ) with water ( magnet ( hall , red ) , piezo -.......

of course led have much longer life , much greater efficiency and lower electrical consumption what means battery last longer...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: mentioned incandescent bulb lamps

Funny is that the halogen lamp can be switched on and secure with a higher power.... but some people who don't understand physics are simply

ignored that fact . Answer is ''soft start'' known from starting HiFi amplifiers , till starting high power electromotor's. Most killing start for

incandescent bulb is instant switching ( with twist head or toggle switch ) where temperature starts from ''room temperature '' to almost two

thousand degrees which bring enorme stress in material in hundredths of a second .

Funny also that physically they are properly made ​​Halogen almost immortal, but they are artificially made ​​so as to have known life

The Lightbulb Conspiracies | Greenwashing Lamps which later grow on all other products

From what I know that the quality LED lights are instantly on, and with no heat actually. So I think now the quality one should not have some problems when turned on. I am not familiar with LED technology, I just learned from a LED basic blog here Led Basics, hope that can be helpful.
My first post here after I read this thread, correct me if I am wrong. :)

Well not true led is in basic big semiconductor junction same as processor in computer and both have same problems - overheating (roughly speaking )

one of the most selled led inside scuba lights is cree XM-L from company original brochure 4 of them can easy get temp of 132°C (look on IR scans ) and that in basic means lamp like that

4cree.jpg

http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/C... Application Notes/XLampThermalManagement.pdf

for some more easy stuff some videos SinkPAD - LED Thermal Management experts | LED Cooling | LED Manufacture | Cooling down LED heatsinks around the world | New LED Cooling technology

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: if lamp is NOTGET WARMER to HOT (depends on lamp parameters and output ) then is something wrong ( bad thermal contact (or even isolated - led would turrn blue and then die ) , low current on led then maens low power output )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom